hot drinks for winter

I’m looking for ideas based on what you like best for hot drinks that I can have outside (in Minnesota) with me while sitting in front of our Chimnea. It can be comfortable sitting out there even in the low 30s thus far, but the bottle of PN or whatever, chills and thus the wine isn’t the best.

Thanks in advance.

If you are interested in Hot Buttered Rum, I recommend using the Trader Vic’s recipe for the mix. Easy to make and yummy.

Thanks. That’s the sort of thing for which I am looking. I just Googled it and I see a couple of old recipes, but also the pre-made containers. Is it better to make at home, refrigerate and then use when needed?

I used to tend bar, and I made it myself. You can put it in a plastic tub, and it will last as long as normal butter would.

Thanks!

And there are a whole slew of coffee drinks. One of my faves is Keoke Coffee, which is brandy, Kahlua, and coffee. Also with hot chocolate there are a lot of option. Hot chocolate and peppermint schnapps, hot chocolate with brandy or dark rum, lots of different combos of liquors and liqueurs, and then you can do mochas (half coffee/half hot chocolate) with the same liquors.

Hot spiced cider with the booze of your choice, and the good old hot toddy (good for sore throats too).

What type of brandy with the Keoke?

I don’t think you would need anything expensive. Most of the time if you order one in a bar, they just use cheaper stuff- the Kahlua and coffee would probably overwhelm anything really good, but it’s your preference.

Verte Chaud

Linda;

Which of these is closest to the real Trader Vics recipes?

1. 1# brown sugar, 1/4# butter, pinch of salt, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, 1/4 tsp cloves. Then 1 tsp of the batter with 1.5oz of rum and 5oz boiling water.

2. 3/4# butter, 1 cup brown sugar, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 cloves, salt, 1.5 oz rum, 6 oz boiling water.

Thanks.

I think this is it:
1 lb. brown sugar
1/4 lb. butter
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp each ground nutmeg, cinnamon, and cloves

Which is closest to your #1. Some recipes add more butter for a higher butter/sugar ratio, but the drinks get too greasy tasting.

Going Hot Toddy tonight as a close out.

Cinnamon apple tea, whiskey, a touch of honey, a touch of clove and lemon.

The winter just makes these worth it.

I recently started to make constantly at a meeting with friends mulled wine with white wine and tangerine with cloves, and also, I make coffee with the addition of cocoa, it comes out very tasty))