1998 Chateauneuf du Pape

I’ve been opening a lot of my 98 ChP lately because I’ve had so many that are over the hill. Right now I’m drinking the Ch Cabrieres Prestige which is one of the better bottles I’ve opened. Jammy, nice balance, a bit of the dirt, long finish and lots and lots of fruit. So many were just tired and old (Sabon, Janasse, others). I’ve yet to open the Beacastels. Anyone else generally disappointed with the longevity of ChP? Am I keeping them too long?

Yes. I finished all of my 1998 Chateauneufs 4 years ago with the exception of Beaucastel. I think they have 15-16 years max and then it’s just not worth any upside to keeping them. I’ve had too many bottles that were older that were dead.

I think there are still a lot of wines that are showing nicely from this vintage. Certainly Vieux Donjon and Les Cailloux. I never liked 98 Beaucastel. Here are some notes from a luncheon my friend Bill invited me to. My notes are post 9:

I continue to be disappointed by the 98’s… have a feeling 07’s will not live up to their hype as well.

What’s the rule these days for aging CDP? 10 years? 15?

I had two Châteauneuf red 1998 verticales in 2001 then 2016 :
http://www.invinoveritastoulouse.fr/index.php/degustations-thematiques/horizontales-millesime/317-20011019-chateauneuf-du-pape-1998

http://www.invinoveritastoulouse.fr/index.php/degustations-thematiques/horizontales-millesime/745-horizontale-chateauneuf-du-pape-1998

Not a great vintage, actually, specially for Rayas.
The 2007 could be comparable.

[training.gif] Beaucastel was disappointing (unlike most vintages, it’s mostly Grenache) but Pegau and especially Vieux Telegraph were lovely (VT was perfect CdP for my tastes).

2007 was dissed, not hyped, among many of my wine buddies.

My rule is: Drink right away, then hide them for 10+ years. Some of the “bigger” examples (definitely relative with CdP, as most are “big”) probably aren’t going to age well at all (I try to avoid these ones). The better ones should probably be stored for 15+ years. I’ve not yet had an '05 that truly tasted “aged,” for example.

CdP is wildy producer-dependent.

Agreed with 98 VT. It was so good a few years ago it’d be surprised if it was over the hill now.

are these notes mostly form 750’s? Are the magnums of these years holding up any better?

I think it is very producer specific in 1998. The Vieux Tele, Pegau, Vieux Donjon, Charvin, and Henri Bonneau Marie are all drinking well. Many others have not fared so well with age.

i have a 98 Beaucastel Roussanne VV that Im planning on opening in about a month for a dinner… should I be planning on using a backup?

Those wines are immortal.

Had a bottle of the 1998 (regular) Beaucastel red a year and a half ago that was drinking fantastically.

Had a bottle of '98 Beaucastel a month ago. It was delicious, but I did feel like it was either at its peak or just a bit beyond. Purchased at a restaurant, so I do not know how it has been stored the prior 20 years.

“1/26/2019 - I like this wine: (Edit)
93 Points
P&P with no decant. Earthy, mushrooms, damp leather on the nose. Red fruit, licorice, peppery and sweet on the palate. Lingering finish.”

I still have a few Bois De Boursan '98s left and each time I open one my world is rocked and I swear of opening another for at least five years.
Hands down one my favorite wines ever.