Why “Short/Boring” or “Long/Boring?”

Hi

I’ve seen many people on this message board headline their tasting notes and stories with a disclaimer. Short vs long I get, but what’s with the boring? I still haven’t seen one with “Short/compelling” or similar. Is boring code for something, like “no pictures?”

It’s a Tom Hill “trademark.” He’s been using that in his note titles for decades, and a few have copied here and there.

Thanks. It seemed like it was specific to Tom but other people appear to have picked up the disclaimer habit. I do enjoy Tom’s posts a lot, so I think */boring is a misnomer.

No doubt, but Tom is justifiably famous for [stirthepothal.gif] .

:wink:

Just seeing this and looks like Tom hasn’t happened upon it… I recalled this question being posed to Tom a few times over the years and found this response:

I’m from the nearly the same generation as Tom and remember using punch cards in my High School computer class and graduating to teletype input in College. Back in the days when download speeds were measured in B’s, rather than KB, MB or GB. I think my first recollection was speeds of around 400/800 Baud though, rather than Tom’s 68.

Cheers!

Steve

Is there a glossary or a thread explaining some of the terms and abbreviations used here? That would certainly help a newcomer hit the ground running.

I always assumed Tom got it from early Usenet/internet usage where similar was often used in headers of messages.