Double decant question

Bringing an older bottle with a lot of sediment to an offline, I’ve had it standing for a month. I’d like to double decant in the morning. How do I get the original bottle perfectly clean and dry in the 40 minutes between when i pour it into a decanter and when I need to reload it to head to work? I don’t think it will dry upside down in that time. Put it in the warming drawer at 150 for half hour? (Won’t be great for the label I imagine). What do other folks do?

Personally I would have an empty 750 bottle already cleaned and dried prior to decanting. When dealing with tastings/offlines I often photograph my bottle prior to opening, another pic of the top of cork in the beck prior to removing it from the bottle and last pic of the wine in the decanter with sediment in cheese cloth/filter with removed cork resting on top of the funnel/filter.
I pour from decanter in to the clean bottle and seal with t-stopper. I bring both the original empty bottle and the secondary bottle with the wine to the tasting. If original bottle is completely dry by that point I will transfer it back if not a post it note goes on secondary bottle indicating, winery-wine name -vintage and decanting time/details.

2 Likes

This is an interesting one I honestly hand’t thought about until reading this. How much would the residual droplets of water inside a bottle impact the wine that has been poured back into the bottle from the decanter? Thinking the volume of 750ml of wine would render the small amount of water in the bottle almost a non-factor? (assuming you really shake that bottle out after rinsing it, and let it air dry for 2-3 hours). I could be way off. What do people say?

The amount of water left in the bottle after draining for a minute or two is insignificant. Do you ever use the same glass for tasting multiple wines? Do you rinse between wines? Do you dry your glass in a kiln for an hout between wines?

2 Likes

+1

Don’t overthink it.

1 Like

This.

I go through hundreds of bottles a year - including many older vintages - since I arrange lots of tastings where we normally taste 10-15 wines per tasting.

I usually double-decant all the wines (whites, reds, rosés, sweets - everything excluding bubblies) before the tastings and I normally use a decanter or even a simple French press, pouring the wine there, taking care not to pour any sediment, pour the possible sludgy remainder in an empty glass or just down the drain, rinse the bottle thoroughly, let it dry for a minute or so and pour the wine back into the bottle. Going through 12 bottles takes approximately an hour, unless the corks are tricky to extract.

Like others have said above I would’t worry about the droplets of water left in the clean bottle.

Done it many times. Tiny water droplets : No impact

I would ask: an older bottle. And u are decanting it in the morning? Is there concern that the decant time a bit long?

1 Like

I don’t double decant often but when I’ve done so I’ve experienced no adverse effects from remaining water after vigorous shaking followed by moderate inverted standing on a paper towel.

1 Like

After rinsing the bottle out and leaving it upside down it should dry out relatively quickly anyway especially if you give a couple of shakes every so often. What’s left won’t matter

After decanting I throughly rinse the empty bottle with hot water until all sediment is gone. I then rinse it with cold water so the bottle is not hot. I then “sacrifice” a small amount of the decanted wine, pour it in the bottle and “rinse” the bottle with that small amount of wine before filling up the bottle with the decanted wine. No need to worry about the water droplets that way

2 Likes

A little bit of water won’t hurt the wine. But I am also a huge fan of using vodka to clean my glasses. Really takes the stains out of everything and dries quickly.

1 Like

Well, some tap water has enough of a smell to impact the wine a little. You can follow up the washing with a rinse of distilled water.

I don’t make sure the bottle is dry. After cleaning the original bottle with purified water, I pour about 1-2 tbsp of the wine into the bottle and swish it around, pour it out and then decant the wine back into the bottle. I don’t like the idea of having an un or mis labeled wine bottle to pour the wine back into.

1 Like

I rinse the bottle out with tap water and finish with a single rinse of filtered water, shake as much out as I can, and then fill the bottle again. Never been a problem.