How would you guys manage a four person tasting

Hi all,

I’m looking to get together with three friends to taste some wine, probably after work. I’d love for us each to bring a bottle since we all have interesting and divergent tastes. Any suggestions on how to manage this, given four bottles for four guys is a lot to drink? Do you just all agree to drink to fullness and then go home with half empty bottles? Certainly if I consumed a full bottle I would be highly impaired.

We are in Massachusetts so BYOB at a restaurant is not an option, unfortunately.

Is spitting a possibility? Solves the issue of over consumption… drink a little while spit majority?

Take your time, have plenty of food handy. To me, 4 btls for 4 people is fine (if anything, it’s on the low side). It may be more than you might usually drink, but don’t assume that applies to the others. Over 2-4 hours, you metabolize most of the alcohol.

Four bottles fine. Could consider someone bringing a half of something as well (a sweet or a nice still) to make it 3.5.

Thanks all. I think a little spitting may do the trick. I’m also a lightweight (due to all that healthy livin’) so you’re right about not assuming that others will join me in the ER.

You do not need to finish the bottles. No shame in taking leftovers home for the next day

My 2 cents: Don’t spit with four wines. Drink sensibly and enjoy each of the wines. Take home the leftovers for later in the week. Whoever brings the WOTN gets first choice of the leftovers. [cheers.gif]

4 bottles for 4 ppl is fine… if there’s a few mags.

Water. Stay hydrated and slightly cleanse your taste buds between wines.

Anyone else drink club soda or sparkling water at tastings?

Invite four more people.

Sorry, I couldn’t resist. It’s just been a bad day.

… and make sure they bring bottles too :slight_smile:

Indeed, for many wines the ‘second day’ tasting can be a whole ‘nother story. Everyone takes a bottle home and emails their comments the next day.

1 Like

This.

4 bottles for 4 guys is no big deal. If you plan to consume them in less than an hour, it’s a problem. Over a long period of time, you should be good to go, honestly.

One more vote for what Chuck said. There have actually been studies on this and from an etiquette perspective it is generally considered proper to ensure there is the equivalent of at least one bottle per person in a dinner setting- and I would extend that guideline to a prolonged social gathering where you are going to be essentially having an after-work happy hour, even with more serious intent on the wine tasting side.

I would still Uber or Lyft it were me FWIW- but if you want to have a relaxed and fun occasion, then your current plan is correct on the wine side.

As for leftovers, the Container Store and some kitchen or pharmacy stores have little glass vials that run between 50 and 200mL. I keep a regular stock of 100mL vials that I used to save leftover wine for later or to share samples with friends. Have a few of those on hand, and then just fill them to the very top with no airspace, seal off, and everyone can take home 1 or more samples of the wines to revisit over the next couple of weeks when time allows.

Final answer Regis: D) All of the above!

Honestly, my friends and I play Blinders all the time, and there are four of us (we each bring a bottle). We bring lots of snacks and space out the wines over about 4-5 hours. It’s a ton of fun! By no means is four bottles for four people a lot. That being said, drink whatever you feel comfortable with! At the end of the day, you know your tolerance the best.

In my experience the problem with trying something like 4 bottles for 4 people is that, after a bottle each, everyone is in a good mood and you start cracking open other bottles so it becomes 6 bottles for 4 people and then the next morning gets a bit slow…

I think half bottles is a good idea, though it’ll limit you quite a bit in terms of selection. Last time I checked, Marty’s and Gordon’s both had reasonable half-bottle selections. And the Wine Emporium had some good stickies in halves.

Drink & Uber !

it is never wrong to leave with a little bit of a good wine left for the next day. in fact, most tastings that I’ve been at where everyone brings a bottle end up this way. as long as people are bringing things they enjoy drinking then no one should be upset about it either