Best way to try aged wine?

I’ve recently become more serious about laying down wines for future enjoyment (with a 10-20 year time horizon). I’ve set some cellar targets based on what I enjoy today (e.g., X cases of Burgundy, Y cases of Bordeaux, Z cases of Barolo, M cases of Mosel Riesling, N cases of Oregon Pinot Noir, etc.), but that’s sort of based on what I’ve been drinking, what I think might age well, and what I can afford. I’d like to get a little more methodical about it, and actually try some older wine in each category before I really buy a lot. What’s the easiest/most cost-effective way of trying decade+ old wine, aside from flying to Bern’s in Tampa for a long weekend?

Auctions, cellar sales, estate sales, or nice friends/tasting groups that pity you.

Tasting groups with people with nice cellars. This week I got to taste a 61 Latour, 52 Cheval, 61 Aldo Conterno Barolo, a 66 Bonnes Mares…all thanks to friends who brought them.

There are also disbanded cults that had vineyards, Kalin Wines, library releases, Lopez de, sherry, and port.

Hi Geoff. I’ve been through exactly this myself recently so here are a few things I’ve learned:

• Auctions and secondary cellar sellers (e.g. Cellaraiders) - I’ve had a hit-or-miss experience with these as I’ve purchased an unacceptable number of corked / oxidized / flawed bottles. Maybe I’m just purchasing incorrectly but I have stopped buying from these sources.

• If you have a high quality local wine merchant, they will occasionally have offerings of library wines - I bought some 2000 Bordeaux from my local shop last year - and if it’s flawed you at least have some recourse.

• If you ever go to winery tastings you can sometimes get older releases. Eyrie and Rex Hill (you mentioned Oregon) have tastings that include older wines IIRC. I have done library tastings at Montelena and Monte Bello - going all the way back to the 1970s with Montelena.

• You’d be surprised what you can get in restaurants without having to go all the way to Bern’s. For example, at Momofuku Ssam bar in NYC a few months ago, they had a cellar clearout and I was able to get a 2007 Boillot 1er Cru Volnay at a good price. Similar experience at Craigie on Main in Cambridge, MA

• And, as others have said, friends can help greatly. Of course, you need the right kind of friends, and since I don’t hang around with wine geeks that often, I find this part to be challenging. The offline planner on this site may be helpful in this regard.

(Edited - mixed up Eyrie and Erath)

I’ve had very good luck with them. Never had a flawed wine issue.

In addition to what people have said already, just be on the look out for good opportunities on online stores. I just got a bottle of 2004 Shiraz from JJ Buckley for $17 and it was great! Everyone really enjoyed it and it had aged wonderfully.

Thanks for the advice all!

+1 on this.

I buy from them frequently for aged or hard to get if your not on the mailing list items. You need to make sure you watch the prices, sometimes with the 17% buyers premium you can end up paying above market if you are not careful. I check prices on Wine-Searcher and drinking windows on CellerTracker to make sure you aren’t paying too much or get stuff past its prime.

Man you’ve got some nice friends! [cheers.gif]

Tasting groups are a real education if you approach them with an open attitude and confidence in your palate. I have learned that some wine work with age better than others for me. I have tasted some well cellared aged champagne and decided I prefer them younger. Chenin Blanc with hair on its chin.
One of the issues with though, is bottle variation which become more prominent as wine gets older.

check out Chambers St. Wines. There is a ton of 60s and 70s Nebbiolo on the site for extremely reasonable prices. pick good vintages (61,64,67, 71, 74) and give them a couple weeks of standing before opening, then like 6-10 hours of air before drinking.

Find aged friends.