New house build - wine storage location = bad idea?

A section for those relatively new to wine, 'geeks in training', and for common wine topics
JeffMG

New house build - wine storage location = bad idea?

#1 Post by JeffMG » December 30th, 2019, 10:51 am

Hi all!

So we're in the process of designing our forever home. As modest wine drinkers, we aren't building a huge cellar but more of a "closet" to store a few hundred bottles. After many revisions, we finally came upon a plan with our designer that worked, and checked off all the boxes...but then at the last minute I realized that perhaps having the wine storage so close to the media room could be bad news because of vibration? It will be opposite the back wall of our media room. I'm sure some speakers will be on the wall. I feel like the wife will hit the fan if we have to make more revisions, as this was so difficult to come up with. Am I overthinking this?

Thanks!!
Jeff Goodman

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: New house build - wine storage location = bad idea?

#2 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » December 30th, 2019, 11:10 am

I think it’ll be fine; it’s not like the room is constantly going to be vibrating.

mattcitrang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by mattcitrang » December 30th, 2019, 1:05 pm

It will be fine. The problem I see is that it is way tooooo small.

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by RichardFlack » December 30th, 2019, 4:13 pm

It’s like RAM, take the high estimate of what you think you might need down the road and double that. Treble if you’re under 35.

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Anton D » January 20th, 2020, 4:13 pm

I'd worry more about a wine compressor affecting the quality of my audio electronics!

If you are designing still, make sure your audio gear is on its own circuit and that the wine room compressor is well damped/isolated.
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Return to “Wine 101: The Basics”