to dump or not to dump?!

newhere hello every one i am new to this community, short back story i just recently started to appreciate the different quality and taste of each branchs of wine from merlot to pinot noir, rieslings to savignon blanc. the other day i was tasting a garnacha and it had these little settiment of what i call sludge at the bottom of my glass i was taken back and unsure if i should drink it or dump it? please let me know not that its about the price but is this common in darker red wines?

it’s fine. not gonna hurt ya.

ok thanks P.L it was a really good wine but was just unsure if it is normal.

It’s more likely to come up with nicer or older bottles, especially when you get to the last few ounces poured. It can sometimes make the wine more bitter or change the texture for that last few sips depending on how coarse the sediment is. If it bugs you, pour those last bits through a fine filter; some will recommend using an unbleached coffee filter, but the reusable copper mesh ones do just as well and you can rinse them out immediately and not stain them at all.

Leslie, as others have said, that sediment is (generally) normal, though more often found in wines at least a few years old, not so much very young wines. With a bottle a few years old, it’s always a good idea to stand the wine up for an hour or two before serving (doesn’t matter if you do this before or after opening), or even longer if you know you’re going to drink it that evening. Then take a little care while pouring that you don’t shake it or turn it sideways and back upright too quickly. That will help to keep the sediment toward the bottom. You can enjoy most of the wine in the bottle, until you get to the end. Then it might help to pour the last glass or two slowly, while looking through the bottle. You can usually see the sediment beginning to travel up the bottle toward the opening, and just stop at that point.

To dump or not to dump?

When you got to go, you got to go.