En-premier for newbies

Hello all,

I’m 38, based in London, and have just begun my WSET 3 coursework. The level 2 kicked off my interest in wine, and I’m beginning to build a little bit of a collection at home (and some held in bond with the merchant.)

I enjoy Burgundy, among other things, and I’m just now getting all of the 2019 release listings from various merchants I signed up with here in the UK (Lay and Wheeler, Fine and Rare, Berry Brothers and Rudd, etc.), along with all of the review sites I check (JR, etc.). I have to admit that I’m a bit overwhelmed, since I’m not familiar with many of the specific producers.

My question is – how do people tend to navigate these things until they’re familiar with more producers? Should I invest in small quantities of wines that seem like they’re well liked and pleasantly described by the merchant/reviewer? Should I wait until I’m familiar with each producer from first hand experience (post-COVID tastings, presumably)? Should I research each offering from multiple sources? I’m just curious how these release lists are viewed through the eyes of more seasoned collectors.

I had a second question about resources for how to structure a wine collection. I currently have room for about 100 bottles at storage or serving temperature. I’m more interested in having really great wine to drink all the time, but it would be nice to supplement my new hobby with some smart investment wines that I plan on selling later. I’m also happy to keep wine in bond with a merchant, and am currently doing that with a few cases of burgundy that seemed well reviewed. Are there any good rules of thumb for how to balance this, or any resources I can look to?

Many thanks,

Jordan

As someone from the UK I would suggest looking at membership of the Wine Society, they offer Burgundy, Rhône, Bordeaux and others EP each year.

Regarding styles of Burgundy, I would suggest buying some of the basic burgundy from producers to get an understanding of their styles. These should also be ready to drink more quickly than the grander wines.

I can’t advise on investment wines as I intend to drink every bottle I own.

Thanks! I actually am doing the Wine Society vintage cellar plan scheme. I haven’t amassed anything yet as I just signed up last month, but I’m eager to check in on it in a year or so!