Best Zalto Decanter for Everyday Use?

I’m trying to decide between the Zalto Axium and Mystique decanters. The problem is that I drink as many lighter bodied reds as I do “powerful” reds, so the marketing copy isn’t really helping me decide. Does anyone have an opinion as to which one makes a better everyday/general use decanter?

I wouldnt spend the money for a zalto decanter for “everyday” use.

I have many a $10 spiegelau decanter that do the job.

Have even used a french press carafe

If you’re dead set on having a Zalto decanter, I reckon the Axium is the more flexible of those options. Though personally I’m not a fan of either of those options as decanters.

Overall I’m not a huge fan of captain’s decanter. They just feel big and clunky. I usually prefer a decanter with a more modest surface area that I can use for decanting both lighter and bigger wines. I also often find them clunky and challenging to pour, especially as you get towards the last remaining bits of wine.

My go to is the carafe-style Riedel Cabernet decanter. They even do a magnum version of it, which I find useful. Small foot-print, Easy to handle and pour. I’d also into the Grassl decanters, their Carafe is pretty nice.

First off- I import Zalto for the U.S., and have since 2005, so I am most definitely biased on the topic but have also likely used them all more than anybody else here on the board. So that said, I would recommend the Axium between the two. I like how easy it is to get my hand around the neck to give my wines a good swirl, especially a “natural” wine, and I honestly don’t find it to be heavy or clunky at all. But you should also consider the Carafe No. 75. It makes for an excellent everyday decanter, and is the one that many somms are using for restaurant service (such as Aldo Sohm for his wine bar.)

Cheers~
Emily

I have both the Axium and the carafe no. 75. Even though the Axium is the first one that I bought, I end up using the carafe about 90% of the time. I wouldn’t bother getting the mystique. Picking up the Axium and swirling it a bit will have a lot bigger impact on exposing the wine to oxygen than the larger surface area of the mystique. The carafe is super versatile though - highly recommended.

1 Like

Thank you for posting about the carafe, I was considering one but was on the fence.

Got multiples of both, love both. The Axium takes less space. Both are beautiful and totally effective. Plus, Chris is having a sale on the Mystique currently so maybe there is your decision?

Http://www.cjfselections.com

+1. I got some at target for $25 per some years back

In general I am a function over form when it comes to decanters. Ease of cleaning and durability are all that really matters to me. I would be happy with some old Paul Masson wide mouth bottles or cheap glass pichet.

ymmv