Long term cellar strategy

Knowing that the wine market is finite and most popular imported wine is allocated, looking for advice on which amongst the varietals below to buy and cellar.
Barolo, Champagne, and Riesling have had some quality vintages. If you were going to stock up, which would varietals would you recommend overweighting on given vintage quality and to limit the future cost and/or inability to source. (I am not short in any areas, but since cost is a factor, trying see what varietals may be difficult or more costly to source later). My Barolo and Champagne purchases are pretty concentrated as a result. Riesling is pretty diverse as I haven’t narrowed down my producer preferences yet. Just preference of wine bottling amongst certain producers.

Other varietals not listed have been covered, as I feel they are areas where I am already overweighted and may need to rebalance to future consumption needs. Or I’m in steady state for cellaring/purchases.

16 barolo and 08, 12 and 13 champagne especially Cristal.

1 Like

I agree with Michael on the 2016 Barolo and 2008 Champagne, with some 2010 Barolo for backfilling if they are available. There are also a lot of positive comments about the 2019 Riesling, so I would also consider that vintage. There are a lot of experienced Riesling enthusiasts on this board who can also help with back vintages.

Ed

1 Like

As I am probably a lot older than the three of you, I rarely buy anything with vintages that young. The one vintage exception is Champagne. More recent vintages I have bought are 2008, 2009, and 2012 from select producers. When you get my age, long-term takes on a different meaning. champagne.gif

1 Like