Open Bottle Still Good after 3 days?

I had some leftover wine from a party we hosted, and before dumping it, I figured I’d take sniff. Smelled fine, surprisingly. So I poured a little into a glass, took a sip, and surprisingly tasted fine. I’m was expecting it to be vinegar, or at least on its way. Bottle was 2014 J. Davies Cab. Oh, and it was left covered via cork, but not refrigerated. Anyone have a similar experience?

I recently had a bottle of Loire Cab Franc show well open over a 5-day shift at work. I corked it after each pour.

Day 3 was the best taste, after not having any on day 2.

5 days, wow. Wine certainly tasted different, and not for the better IMO, but certainly not spoiled, which is what surprised me most.

Most well made wine these days will last a week or so if refrigerated. Depending on you home temperature 2-4 on the kitchen counter.

Open wines can vary. I had an excellent glass of a baby cab that was left in the fridge for a week. I also have had red wines go to hell on the second day. You never know. Whites usually can go two-three days, but I have also experienced some really bad whites on day two.

2 Likes

And welcome to the forum!

Thank you Michael!

Refrigeration is wonderful for keeping wine fresh, but from my experience it would take quite a long time for a wine to turn to vinegar in a fridge. For me I feel like the wine changes flavor on the 3rd day whether that’s a good thing or bad thing I suppose that’s subjective.

The vast majority of wines are much more hardy than conventional wisdom might suggest. Yesterday I finished the remains of a very fine wine, after having been open for 48 hours. It was markedly better than on the night it was opened. We routinely drink wines over 24 or 48 hours, sometimes longer. Rarely are they worse, more often they’re at least as good or better. Really old wines might be the exception, bit young to moderate age I don’t think twice about saving for a day, 2 or 3.

Slight hijack, but I was opening a bottle this evening and realized that I was opening the wrong vintage once I got the cork halfway out with the ah so and saw the numbers. I pushed the cork back in as I was saving this one for my brothers birthday next Saturday. The cork moves around easier now but was never completely out, it should be fine like this for a week ya?

It should be fine. Most of the oxygenation from what I’ve read is from the pouring of the wine not from just opening the cork.

1 Like