"on the nose" wine labels with names like "Jammy"

I’ve been chatting with others and from their POV they don’t enjoy jammy wines. I actually don’t mind that style of wines whether it’s Zin’s or Syrah’s. Do you ever buy wines that are named with their flavor profile?

Some labels have butter, cigar, smoky, etc. in their names or do you stick with traditionally named wines. One of the wines I considered buying is The Big Red Monster Cabernet Sauvignon mostly for the kicks.

I don’t think I would ever buy or not buy a wine based on the label. Now that I think about it I might buy a wine if it had a beautiful label and at least sounded moderately interesting (and wasn’t too expensive). However, if it said Jammy on the label, I probably wouldn’t be a buyer

I buy novelty gifts based on label… like if it has a dog that looks like a friend’s dog I’ll buy it for that reason.

1 Like

I was rather disappointed that Niepoort’s 2013 Clos de Crappe didn’t live up to its billing as:

A modern old style wine.
A wine full of character, some mistakes.
Technically a disaster.
But a wine full of passion and expression.
A wild , intense nose full of reduction.
A palate “the incredible lightness of being”.
Fine, elegant and very long.
“What the hell is Clos de Crappe?”

It was a bit too normal and even soulless (to my tastes). Reminded me of a modest Southern Rhone red