GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: New York City, aka Manhattan and the boroughs BYO

#651 Post by Greg K » December 12th, 2019, 11:42 am

Juliec wrote:
December 12th, 2019, 10:52 am
Greg K wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 8:52 pm
Utterly appalling customer service at Côte, which ended up with me paying $65 for the “privilege” of opening my bottle of wine and not having any food. Can’t recall an experience this bad in NYC, will not be back.
Wow, totally weird. I sure hope you didn’t pay at the bar for them to open up your bottle. Did you even get glasses and get to drink the wine at the bar? Or did you get charged to just open a bottle and have to leave?

I’ve never brought wine to Cote. Usually have had a set dinner course or some such that ends up being about 65–70/pp for food. And the grill is right on the table. The booth marble table is pretty big could fit 4-6 ppl and so much space, it’s not a tiny place like most nyc restaurants. Albeit I feel like they don’t have many tables
In the heart of flatiron, nomad. I’ve never had bad service here and I went on a weekend for dinner I think. That’s is pretty bad not to have been able to have the grilled steak with dinner and wine. Usually service is quick as you grill at the table. (After your note, I did look up the wine list. I may buy wine next time, they have some good bottles. I suspect they probably have/use good glasses too). I remember the plates being custom or matching the table setting last time.

Sorry you had that experience.
I opened one of our bottles and as we were waiting for our last party member (who was late), they cancelled our reservation, didn't tell us and informed me they didn't have another table for 1.5 hours. So.........effectively I paid $65 to open and drink the bottle. I was standing 5 feet from the host who didn't bother informing me of any of this. Their justification? But we sent a text to your 212 number! The equivalent of sending smoke signals to Mars.
As I was walking to another restaurant to get some food, got an email that my reservation at Cote was cancelled. LOL. I've eaten at Cote before, and the food is fine, but I'm definitely not returning. There are lots of options in NYC, especially in Flatiron.
Greg Kahn

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#652 Post by Dan Hammer » December 12th, 2019, 1:03 pm

This list was updated through November 19, 2019.
This space for rent.

Juliec

#653 Post by Juliec » December 21st, 2019, 1:12 pm

I feel like someone posted about kochi. Couldnt remember who. Thank you! The best food and wine pairing. Was able to bring some aged pinot and chardonnay. Perfect pairing. The are getting liq license next week. So this may be the last weekend to byo.
hong

Victor Hong

#654 Post by Victor Hong » December 22nd, 2019, 8:36 pm

Juliec wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 1:12 pm
I feel like someone posted about kochi. Couldnt remember who. Thank you! The best food and wine pairing. Was able to bring some aged pinot and chardonnay. Perfect pairing. The are getting liq license next week. So this may be the last weekend to byo.
I can use my government connections, to sandbag its State Liquor Authority license application.
WineHunter.

etomasi

#655 Post by etomasi » December 26th, 2019, 8:21 pm

Osteria Morini in Soho. $40/btl, not sure about a bottle limit. https://osteriamorini.com/soho-nyc/

Btw, thanks for keeping this up to date! When I visited last weekend, it was very helpful!
---
Eric Tomasi
CT: Ericindc

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#656 Post by Dan Hammer » December 27th, 2019, 7:28 am

Updated 12/27/19
etomasi wrote:
December 26th, 2019, 8:21 pm
Osteria Morini in Soho. $40/btl, not sure about a bottle limit. https://osteriamorini.com/soho-nyc/

Btw, thanks for keeping this up to date! When I visited last weekend, it was very helpful!
Thanks for the kind words.
This space for rent.

Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member

#657 Post by Ethan Abraham » December 30th, 2019, 5:12 pm

Le Midi is $20 per bottle.

scott c
GCC Member
GCC Member

#658 Post by scott c » January 3rd, 2020, 7:41 am

Has anyone ever tried to bring wine to Veselka?
c 1 @ f f e e

"By serving the best, never the most, a host compliments both himself and guest, and compensates with additional enjoyment what he wisely limits in number of drinks."
-Julian P. ("Pappy") Van Winkle, Sr.

jprusack

#659 Post by jprusack » January 9th, 2020, 6:17 pm

Greg K wrote:
December 12th, 2019, 11:42 am
Juliec wrote:
December 12th, 2019, 10:52 am
Greg K wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 8:52 pm
Utterly appalling customer service at Côte, which ended up with me paying $65 for the “privilege” of opening my bottle of wine and not having any food. Can’t recall an experience this bad in NYC, will not be back.
Wow, totally weird. I sure hope you didn’t pay at the bar for them to open up your bottle. Did you even get glasses and get to drink the wine at the bar? Or did you get charged to just open a bottle and have to leave?

I’ve never brought wine to Cote. Usually have had a set dinner course or some such that ends up being about 65–70/pp for food. And the grill is right on the table. The booth marble table is pretty big could fit 4-6 ppl and so much space, it’s not a tiny place like most nyc restaurants. Albeit I feel like they don’t have many tables
In the heart of flatiron, nomad. I’ve never had bad service here and I went on a weekend for dinner I think. That’s is pretty bad not to have been able to have the grilled steak with dinner and wine. Usually service is quick as you grill at the table. (After your note, I did look up the wine list. I may buy wine next time, they have some good bottles. I suspect they probably have/use good glasses too). I remember the plates being custom or matching the table setting last time.

Sorry you had that experience.
I opened one of our bottles and as we were waiting for our last party member (who was late), they cancelled our reservation, didn't tell us and informed me they didn't have another table for 1.5 hours. So.........effectively I paid $65 to open and drink the bottle. I was standing 5 feet from the host who didn't bother informing me of any of this. Their justification? But we sent a text to your 212 number! The equivalent of sending smoke signals to Mars.
As I was walking to another restaurant to get some food, got an email that my reservation at Cote was cancelled. LOL. I've eaten at Cote before, and the food is fine, but I'm definitely not returning. There are lots of options in NYC, especially in Flatiron.
sorry for the terrible cote experience. i went there maybe 2 years ago when they opened with all of that buzz. i was very unimpressed with the food. as we left our seats, i noticed that i had gum on my jeans thanks to the previous guests...and the staff didnt bother to clean the table completely. i was quite insulted and the staff just shrugged. i dont recall them doing anything to rectify the situation.

the food was just a hair above a korean bbq joint. ive forgotten about the place since my visit.
Jean - pierre

YLee

#660 Post by YLee » January 14th, 2020, 6:13 pm

I cant go to korean restaurants that doesnt come with abundant bahn chans for free.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

scott c
GCC Member
GCC Member

#661 Post by scott c » January 15th, 2020, 7:12 am

I was at Cote on Sunday night. It was our second time in the last six months, and everything was great.
c 1 @ f f e e

"By serving the best, never the most, a host compliments both himself and guest, and compensates with additional enjoyment what he wisely limits in number of drinks."
-Julian P. ("Pappy") Van Winkle, Sr.

Ramon C

#662 Post by Ramon C » January 15th, 2020, 7:17 am

Cote didn't do it for me, either. My very short note from 2+ years ago ...
Ramon C wrote:
November 14th, 2017, 5:41 am
A couple of notable local dining over the last month:

Cote Korean Steakhouse - what am I missing here?
https://www.cotenyc.com/
@brera

Steve L Gellman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#663 Post by Steve L Gellman » January 15th, 2020, 7:22 am

Tom Tuesday Dinner is back!
2020 is here and with it brings the return of Tom Colicchio's most beloved dinner series:
Tom Tuesday Dinner.
Join Tom & his talented culinary team in Craft's newly renovated Private Dining Room for an evening of no-holds-barred cooking; built from seasonal market ingredients that have long been Tom's inspiration.
Each evening's guests will experience a never before served, progressive, 10 course menu created to highlight Tom's 'what's local is best' approach to the craft of cooking.
You will not see the same menu twice in this series but some of Tom's favorite dishes may make their way to the upcoming tasting menu at Craft!

How to Book:
To kick things off we are releasing three dinner dates:
Monday, January 27th
Monday, February 24th
Tuesday, March 31st
Seats are $250/person with optional wine pairings. Wine pairings are $95/person and can be added at the time of booking.
This is a limited engagement evening and all seats are first come, first serve. Seatings are available from 5:30pm - 9:00pm and the reservation maximum is four people.
To book your spot please email our Guest Relations Manager, Aaron Stone, here.
We are looking forward to cooking for you!
*A note to our guests: Unfortunately, no menu substitutions can be accommodated for this event.

Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#664 Post by Paul Jaouen » January 15th, 2020, 8:20 am

Steve, where is the BYO part?
Best,
Paul Jaouen

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#665 Post by Sh@n A » January 21st, 2020, 10:26 am

Indian Accent $50
Food/flavors are very good, but by end of night felt a bit too heavy. We were more excited to return at beginning of the meal than the end. If was less pricey, would be more apt to return. Probably will return for a special occasion with others once. Despite a wide winelist, food can be spiced/spicy, so I personally would recommend a champagne etc. over the red burgundies etc. on offer. Cocktails are strong, but good, and I think my preferred route.
/ @ g r @ \

Return to “BYO Forum - Wine at Restaurants”