GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Washington DC

#251 Post by Scott Jameson »

Dan Sch wrote: September 8th, 2021, 3:40 pm
Scott Jameson wrote: September 8th, 2021, 8:05 am
Dan Sch wrote: September 8th, 2021, 4:24 am Bresca now $45/btl
Inn at Little Washington $95/$125 2 btl max
IALW used to waive one corkage fee for each bottle purchased off their list. Has this changed ?
Yeah no waiver no matter what!
That's too bad. Between that change and the corkage fees, they really seem to be driving people to buy off the list ... or just drink a cocktail.

Dan Sch
GCC Member
GCC Member

#252 Post by Dan Sch »

NoahR wrote: September 8th, 2021, 6:14 am Apero has a great wine list full of somm-geek gems, and nice caviar service and food. $25/bottle with two bottle max
Super out of the way for us (a whole 2 miles!) but a really fun list. Maybe IALW could take some tips from this list haha!

Some of the champagnes are priced very attractively and it is good to see that all of the age worthy big reds actually have age on them!
Dan Schoeff

R_Gilbane
GCC Member
GCC Member

#253 Post by R_Gilbane »

Dan Sch wrote: September 8th, 2021, 5:50 pm
NoahR wrote: September 8th, 2021, 6:14 am Apero has a great wine list full of somm-geek gems, and nice caviar service and food. $25/bottle with two bottle max
Super out of the way for us (a whole 2 miles!) but a really fun list. Maybe IALW could take some tips from this list haha!

Some of the champagnes are priced very attractively and it is good to see that all of the age worthy big reds actually have age on them!
Been there a few times now (once with Noah and our mutual friend Art the Destroyer of Worlds) and it's a great spot. Highly recommended. Plus you can stumble out of there and pick up some quality meats right next door.
Robert of Loxley aka Reggie Dynamite aka Slim Victory aka Wee Willy Winkie aka Can’t Stop Won’t Stop

Well I never been to Spain
But I kinda like the music
Say the ladies are insane there
And they sure know how to use it
They don't abuse it
Never gonna lose it
I can't refuse it

PSA-BEWARE PUMP&DUMP SCHEMES BY FRAUDULENT WINEFLUENCERS

B. Davies

#254 Post by B. Davies »

I actually found this list to be very helpful: https://www.opentable.com/promo.aspx?m=9&pid=370

It has a lot of the fees listed if not no fee. The worst one seems to be the Ashby Inn with a $50 fee per bottle.
WSET III
Accountant --> Boutique Wine Store Manager
Bill Davies

B. Davies

#255 Post by B. Davies »

etomasi wrote: July 30th, 2020, 3:09 pm O-Ku sushi in DC. located on 5th NE in Florida Market
https://o-kusushidc.com/

$20 per bottle of wine or Sake
This probably would be worth it. I noticed they have some pretty steep mark ups even on sodas!
WSET III
Bill Davies

B. Davies

#256 Post by B. Davies »

Sarah S wrote: August 11th, 2021, 3:20 pm
Scot H. wrote: August 11th, 2021, 2:58 pm
Sarah S wrote: August 11th, 2021, 2:25 pm
We have not been to Jont yet - although many times to Bresca, had work events there, and my wife is a big fan of Ryan R. (as am I) as we followed him there from Ripple (where my Burg group formerly did our tastings). We also did a lot of take-out from them in the past year. So stated otherwise, I have really been wanting to go there and am glad you posted about the corkage.
Have you seen the partnership between Michelin Guide and WineAccess? I just signed up for their monthly wine subscription and they'll mail out some of the wines from either Restaurant DANIEL, Per Se, or Jont that's featured as a wine they pair with specific dishes from the restaurant. We'll see if it's worth it.
WSET III
Bill Davies

Guillermo M
GCC Member
GCC Member

#257 Post by Guillermo M »

B. Davies wrote: September 14th, 2021, 3:30 pm I actually found this list to be very helpful: https://www.opentable.com/promo.aspx?m=9&pid=370

It has a lot of the fees listed if not no fee. The worst one seems to be the Ashby Inn with a $50 fee per bottle.
That's an amazing resource. Thank you.
Guillermo M e n a

WOTY candidates as of 9/21:
2019 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Sonnenuhr “Ur” alte Reben
2019 Huet Vouvray Le Haut-Lieu Sec
2019 Skouras Moschofilero Salto
2018 Carlisle Papera Ranch Zinfandel
2017 Artemis Karamolegos Pyritis Mega Cuvee Santorini
2019 Raúl Pérez Atalier a cruz das ánimas Rías Baixas

Guillermo M
GCC Member
GCC Member

#258 Post by Guillermo M »

B. Davies wrote: September 14th, 2021, 3:37 pm
Sarah S wrote: August 11th, 2021, 2:25 pm
I will admit that I thought it might be good to make reservations for two, have another couple do the same, and bring four bottles to open and share... [cheers.gif]
Sounds like a great idea - when are we going? JK! [smileyvault-ban.gif]

We have not been to Jont yet - although many times to Bresca, had work events there, and my wife is a big fan of Ryan R. (as am I) as we followed him there from Ripple (where my Burg group formerly did our tastings). We also did a lot of take-out from them in the past year. So stated otherwise, I have really been wanting to go there and am glad you posted about the corkage.

Just a puzzling list given the meal pricing and general lack of options and the crazy prices. There is just no excuse in DC given the very permissive laws and excellent distributors.

Our last meal before the pandemic was at Minibar and I brought several magnums (there were 6 of us). I would not say that they were "put-out" - but it did seem like they were disappointed they couldn't sell us the pairing (or just attend to us?). And we bought some Krug and other items so it wasn't like we didn't spend anything. I coincidentally said this on another thread today, but I generally think that the trend toward high-end (iconic?) wine pairings is a total scam. I get that there are people (many people perhaps) who appreciate that (at least the idea of it). But my observation is that the pairings are "interesting" crowd pleasers with some story that the Somm can tell. [cheers.gif]

Have you seen the partnership between Michelin Guide and WineAccess? I just signed up for their monthly wine subscription and they'll mail out some of the wines from either Restaurant DANIEL, Per Se, or Jont that's featured as a wine they pair with specific dishes from the restaurant. We'll see if it's worth it.

Welcome to the board, Bill. (Forgot to mention that in the last message.)

I'm guessing, based on the content, that you wanted your post to look as above, instead of looking like Scot had said that he joined the Wine Access Michelin list.

l joined that subscription too but my shipments are on summer hold so I can't report (and they don't even list the wines in the pending order so it's blind till it arrives).
Guillermo M e n a

WOTY candidates as of 9/21:
2019 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Sonnenuhr “Ur” alte Reben
2019 Huet Vouvray Le Haut-Lieu Sec
2019 Skouras Moschofilero Salto
2018 Carlisle Papera Ranch Zinfandel
2017 Artemis Karamolegos Pyritis Mega Cuvee Santorini
2019 Raúl Pérez Atalier a cruz das ánimas Rías Baixas

B. Davies

#259 Post by B. Davies »

Guillermo M wrote: September 14th, 2021, 6:11 pm
B. Davies wrote: September 14th, 2021, 3:37 pm

Sounds like a great idea - when are we going? JK! [smileyvault-ban.gif]

Just a puzzling list given the meal pricing and general lack of options and the crazy prices. There is just no excuse in DC given the very permissive laws and excellent distributors.

Our last meal before the pandemic was at Minibar and I brought several magnums (there were 6 of us). I would not say that they were "put-out" - but it did seem like they were disappointed they couldn't sell us the pairing (or just attend to us?). And we bought some Krug and other items so it wasn't like we didn't spend anything. I coincidentally said this on another thread today, but I generally think that the trend toward high-end (iconic?) wine pairings is a total scam. I get that there are people (many people perhaps) who appreciate that (at least the idea of it). But my observation is that the pairings are "interesting" crowd pleasers with some story that the Somm can tell. [cheers.gif]

Welcome to the board, Bill. (Forgot to mention that in the last message.)

I'm guessing, based on the content, that you wanted your post to look as above, instead of looking like Scot had said that he joined the Wine Access Michelin list.

l joined that subscription too but my shipments are on summer hold so I can't report (and they don't even list the wines in the pending order so it's blind till it arrives).
Thank you thank you. I’m a bit saddened they don’t ship for Tuesday delivery which would be the most convenient for me. Thankfully my gf works from home and can sign any day.
WSET III
Bill Davies

B. Davies

#260 Post by B. Davies »

Admittedly, I was on my phone trying to make sure the quote block wasn't too large, but I think I may have made an error. Not too easy to preview on a small iPhone screen. Have you all been ordering delivery more now and enjoying the wines you keep? Assuming you keep some haha. It's been many years since I've collected wines and now I'm getting back into it. I wonder if 2020-2021 vintages will be called pandemic year wines.
WSET III
Bill Davies

Return to “BYO Forum - Wine at Restaurants”