What is more important, vineyard or producer?

Wine industry guests, bringing their expertise to WineBerserkers for week-long question/answer sessions
Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

What is more important, vineyard or producer?

#1 Post by Alan Rath » January 30th, 2012, 5:24 pm

Hello Guillaume,
I was able to have a quick visit to Chablis this past October, and vowed to come back and spend more time in the future, it was so charming and beautiful.

In just the short time we were able to wander the vineyards, it was clear that the location in any particular vineyard (particularly the Grand Cru), must have an impact on the final wine. Do you think that the location of a particular producer's plot in a vineyard like Les Clos or Valmur can make a big difference in the wine? Or are the growing, picking, and winemaking choices equally or more important?

Thank you,
Alan
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Guillaume Michel

Re: What is more important, vineyard or producer?

#2 Post by Guillaume Michel » February 1st, 2012, 5:48 am

Hi Alan,

I think within each Grand Cru, you can find homogeneous characteristics. That's why they are so differents in term of size, soils, exposures... Of course you'll have some variations within a Grand Cru, but in the same family. The actual delimitation is the result of decades and decades of exploitation during which generations of winemakers discovered the terroir variations.

Of course the role of the grower is very important. It's so easy to make bad wines with good grapes.

If the grower, in his choices of vineyard management and vinification, does not understand his parcel, it will be more difficult for him to take the good decisions at the right time, and to make a wine that is respectful of the terroir from where it comes. That's why it's important to know your parcel, its history, the balance between the vine and it's environment. This knowledge is transmitted from generations to generations in winemakers families.

I hope you've got the answer to your question!

Return to “Special Wine Guests - Guillaume Michel (Archive)”