Visiting Chablis

Wine industry guests, bringing their expertise to WineBerserkers for week-long question/answer sessions
Kevin Sidders

Visiting Chablis

#1 Post by Kevin Sidders » February 2nd, 2012, 6:05 am

Guillaume,

I presume many people on these boards have spent time in Burgundy, but I'll wager that few have ever been to Chablis. Perhaps you could talk briefly about the town of Chablis as a place to visit-- I found it fascinating to see the town and tour the vineyards on my last trip. In addition, I am also curious about the culture among the winemakers -- because it's a small place are there great friendships and esprit de corps among the winemakers, or does everyone know everyone's business and is it highly competitive?

Cheers
(ITB) VinConnect Inc.
Mailing lists for top European wineries

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Visiting Chablis

#2 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » February 2nd, 2012, 6:08 am

Please include places for lodging and restaurants that should not be missed. Add insight about traveling as well, like auto or motorcycling if you will. Thanks!
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Guillaume Michel

Re: Visiting Chablis

#3 Post by Guillaume Michel » February 2nd, 2012, 1:05 pm

Chablis is a small village of 2500 inhabitants located in the north of Burgundy, 120 miles from Paris, and surrounded by... vineyards!
It's a great place to visit in spring and summer, walk in the vineyards (very helpful to understand the wines) and visit the old part of the village, with its narrow streets and old church where apparently Joan of Arc came to nail her horseshoe to the door.
The area is great for motorbiking: small roads, hills and valleys, nice landscapes... Also you can go to Pontigny (approx 30km away) to visit a beautiful cistercian Abbey, or to Noyers, to visit a very nice medieval village.

If you want to stay in Chablis, L'Hostellerie des Clos is a hotel and also a fine restaurant (www.hostellerie-des-clos.fr)
Another great restaurant is at l'Isle-sur-Serein, L'Auberge du Pot d'Etain, very famous for its amazing wine list (more than 2000 different wines).

Kevin, fortunately there is no major competitiveness in Chablis. It's friendship here, with of course some different points of views in term of winemaking, which is important!

Return to “Special Wine Guests - Guillaume Michel (Archive)”