Any Chance On Vineyard Designates?

Archived discussion threads with Richard Geoffroy of Dom Perigon, held September 13-20, 2010
Bill Tex Landreth

Any Chance On Vineyard Designates?

#1 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » September 1st, 2010, 8:12 am

With Krug offering up two "Vineyard Desigated" wines, Clos de Mesnil & Clos d'Ambonnay, will DP ever follow suit?

Thanks, and welcome!
DB: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Cankles&amp=true&defid=248846

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Any Chance On Vineyard Designates?

#2 Post by mark rudner » September 7th, 2010, 1:08 pm

bill
mc did a set called "le trilogie" a while back that included three different designated vineyards (one bottle of each)

Richard Geoffroy

#3 Post by Richard Geoffroy » September 14th, 2010, 6:23 am

Dear Bill,

Thanks for this question, which is asked more and more often in the light of the current micro-trend for vineyard designates in Champagne. This practice goes against the Dom Pérignon ideal, as expressed in the Manifesto: Dom Pérignon is always an assemblage. Year after year I can see that the sum of the terroirs contributing to the final assemblage is much greater than any of its parts. Furthermore, Dom Pérignon is one and indivisible: I certainly do not wish to start dispersing the various elements entering into the assemblage. My only goal is to reach an absolute as one expression of the vintage, and I want to be in a position to draw on my 17 Grands Crus in order to achieve this. I can therefore definitely say that there have never been, and never will be any vineyard designates for Dom Pérignon.

Best regards,
Richard

Bill Tex Landreth

#4 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » September 14th, 2010, 6:25 am

Thanks for the detailed response....makes perfect sense to me.

Cheers. [cheers.gif]
DB: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Cankles&amp=true&defid=248846

Return to “Special Wine Guests - Richard Geoffroy (Archive)”