Any Chance On Vineyard Designates?

With Krug offering up two “Vineyard Desigated” wines, Clos de Mesnil & Clos d’Ambonnay, will DP ever follow suit?

Thanks, and welcome!

bill
mc did a set called “le trilogie” a while back that included three different designated vineyards (one bottle of each)

Dear Bill,

Thanks for this question, which is asked more and more often in the light of the current micro-trend for vineyard designates in Champagne. This practice goes against the Dom Pérignon ideal, as expressed in the Manifesto: Dom Pérignon is always an assemblage. Year after year I can see that the sum of the terroirs contributing to the final assemblage is much greater than any of its parts. Furthermore, Dom Pérignon is one and indivisible: I certainly do not wish to start dispersing the various elements entering into the assemblage. My only goal is to reach an absolute as one expression of the vintage, and I want to be in a position to draw on my 17 Grands Crus in order to achieve this. I can therefore definitely say that there have never been, and never will be any vineyard designates for Dom Pérignon.

Best regards,
Richard

Thanks for the detailed response…makes perfect sense to me.

Cheers. [cheers.gif]