Sulphur or Petrol?

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

Sulphur or Petrol?

#1 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » January 3rd, 2011, 7:43 pm

How do you tell the difference between the two? Based on the TN's I read, it seems some people use the two interchangeably (or mistake one for the other); you had, imo, an enlightened answer to the "how do you describe minerality?" question, and I'm wondering if you can work your magic on this one, too.

... or is this question like asking how do you tell the difference between apples and oranges?
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

Terry Theise

Re: Sulphur or Petrol?

#2 Post by Terry Theise » January 4th, 2011, 6:39 am

The SO2 aroma is that of a lit matchstick. The H2S aroma is that of a rotten egg or a stinky cheese.

The so-called "petrol" aroma is neither of these. It's explained in my Germany catalogue. Well actually, I stole the explanation from Tom Stevenson. It has to do with a development of lutein, but I'm an ignorant oaf about such things and have no idea what "lutein" might be, or whether I have any of it in my office, kitchen or other rooms.

Robert.Fleming

Re: Sulphur or Petrol?

#3 Post by Robert.Fleming » January 4th, 2011, 8:17 am

Ton Stevenson's explanation of 'petrol' - http://www.wine-pages.com/guests/tom/ri ... trol-2.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Special Wine Guests - Terry Theise (Archive)”