Please welcome our new special wine guest - Alsatian winemak

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

Please welcome our new special wine guest - Alsatian winemak

#1 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 23rd, 2011, 8:06 am

A brief introduction on Florian follows, but please remember, as last time, post each question you have for him as a separate thread, where discussions about that particular issue can be made for the rest of the thread.

"The new face of an old family, Florian Beck-Hartweg (age 23)
I am a recent graduate from the University of Strausbourg in horticulture, oenology, and international trade. I interned for Selbach-Oster before returning to my family's small wine farm in Alsace (5.5 hectares), in which 1.5 hectares is designated Grand Cru FRANKSTEIN, my best terroir. All of our wines carry the "Vigneron Independent" label, which means that I do all the work myself in the vineyards, in the cellar, then bottling and selling the wine. I'm working with my parents Yvette and Michel, and we do everything ourselves, we have no employees. I'm a 14Th generation wine maker, my ancestors produce wine since 1590.

We cultivate our vineyards following the organic chart since 2008, using special techniques based on the respect of the soil and of the biodiversity. Our family has pioneered many of the vineyard management techniques (like not cutting the grass) that is now fairly common in Alsace. My family was also active in the founding of TYFLO (you can ask me about next week!) Our aim is to produce wines that reflect our granitic terroir, and to respect the environment.

Our vineyard management techniques are still not common in Alsace: some of the first techniques we were pioneer for are now common, but the techniques we use nowadays are very different to what other growers do: for example, my mother was in the first ones letting grass in the vineyards in 1982, and now 97% of the growers let grass, BUT they still mow it like we were doing 25 years ago, we don't.

I will be pleased to explain you more about our techniques in the vineyards and in the cellar, and also to answer your general questions about Alsace wines, or about wine growing, wine making in general. "
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow

Re: Please welcome our new special wine guest - Alsatian winemaker Florian Hartweg (1/23-1

#2 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » January 23rd, 2011, 8:30 am

Hi, Florian! Bienvenue....again.

Three general questions:

1) Reading of your family's approach, I am curious why your are not in biodynamie? Does that approach seem to be growing larger in Alsace still? Have people who have "reverted" to BD ever stopped doing the BD approach?

2) What is the latest from Alsace on allowing the consumer to understand the degree of sugar/sweetness in a particular bottle at bottling?

3) Have any of the "premox" problems that have plagued white Burgundy producers affected Alsace wine? Whether yes or no....do you have an opinion as to why or why not? (Do you use silicone or parrafin coated corks?..and why?

As usual, too many questions....but glad to have you here to provide some answers and your always-good insights/thoughts.

Florian BECK-HARTWEG

Re: Please welcome our new special wine guest - Alsatian winemaker Florian Hartweg (1/23-1

#3 Post by Florian BECK-HARTWEG » January 23rd, 2011, 9:54 am

Hello to everyone!
I'm very pleased to be here answering your questions!
Excuse me for my bad english but I will try to do my best. Don't hesitate to re ask me if you don't understand something.

Stuart,
I think it will be better if I create new threads to answer your very interesting questions (it starts good!), as Todd wishes.

Florian
Domaine Florian Beck Hartweg

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#4 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 23rd, 2011, 11:03 am

Florian BECK-HARTWEG wrote:Hello to everyone!
I'm very pleased to be here answering your questions!
Excuse me for my bad english but I will try to do my best. Don't hesitate to re ask me if you don't understand something.

Stuart,
I think it will be better if I create new threads to answer your very interesting questions (it starts good!), as Todd wishes.

Florian
That's correct - as always, the 'Special Guests' forum needs a separate thread for each question
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

#5 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » January 23rd, 2011, 3:39 pm

sorry..i've never been "here" before....

Gordon ZenMasterOfZin Ng

#6 Post by Gordon ZenMasterOfZin Ng » January 24th, 2011, 12:15 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:A brief introduction on Florian follows, but please remember, as last time, post each question you have for him as a separate thread, where discussions about that particular issue can be made for the rest of the thread.
Just thought I'd highlight that Todd...you know how we have some real Beauneheads around here.

*note* we need a 'mutley' snickering animated gif for a smilie?

http://th91.photobucket.com/albums/k285 ... muttly.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Disclaimer: founding member> NJNLC neener
‘You’re smoking crack,’ I was told, and I countered how he was part of the ‘No Joy, No Luck Club.’...c2008 JK

#7 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » January 25th, 2011, 9:00 am

questions about pinot noir are next on tap for me..to Florian. I can't forget my roots.

Return to “Special Wine Guests - Florian Beck Hartweig (Archive)”