Re: TYFLO

#2 Post by Frank Deis » January 27th, 2011, 8:49 pm

http://www.tyflo.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ITB = "I Teach Biochemistry"

Florian BECK-HARTWEG

#3 Post by Florian BECK-HARTWEG » January 27th, 2011, 10:45 pm

Harry,

TYFLO in an alsacian association promoting a suitsainable vinegrowing.
This association was created in 1997 by a group of alsacian growers, including my father, who thought that there was a need to have another way to respect the environnement than organic. They wanted to create a chart that was better adapted to our region, and that also include preventive works. Organic chart only forbides the use of chemicals, but doesn't give any rule about all the work you have to do. What we also reproached to organic at that time, is that to allow not to use herbicides, we had to plough often: we didn't wanted to do that, because it doesn't respect life in the soil, and increases fuel consumption. Second reproach, organig (at that time!) used too much cupper to spray the vineyards: in low quantity, it is not toxic, but quantity used at that time was too high for us.
That's why we prefered to create a chart with some not much dangerous chemicals allowed, and some natural products (like cupper) limited or forbidden. But main aspect of the chart was preventive work: maintain biodiversity in the vineyards with grass, around the vineyards with natural hedges, keep a low vigour of the vine, all the actions we could do to maintain the vineyards in good conditions to be more resistant to diseases. And this helped everyone to discrease very easily and much the quantity of pesticides used.
Nowadays things have changed: we managed to solve the two problems we found in the organic chart: I found a new way to keep the soil without herbicides AND without ploughing too much -at the same time I aerate the soil around the vine stocks, without taking off the grass, and then I let everything grow with flowers and all sort of plants, like if you were in a meadow with vineyards planted on it! Then in the end of the season, I just lay the grass on the soil using a roller crimprer, without mowing or ploughing: this is a good way to keep the soil covered and keep humidity and microorganism, and at the same time it preserves the biodiversity. You can see a video (in french) of it here: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Second issue about cupper: we managed to reduce the doses used thanks to our preventive works and more resistant vineyards, and at the same time we spray with plant extracts that we do ourselves: thanks to that we manage to use an extremely low cupper dose.
Once we managed to solve those two problems, we decided to convert to organic: we started following the organic chart in 2008, our first certificated vintage will be 2011. BUT we decided to continue to follow TYFLO chart at the same time, because it mentions some preventive works that we still find very interesting and non existing in the organic chart. We think that those two charts are complementary, so we follow them both. It is much contraining, but soo important for us!
For those who can understand videos in french, you can have a look at our website where I have done videos where I explaint all our work: http://beckhartweg.free.fr/cave/crbst_36_fr.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And to recognize TYFLO wines (only alsacians!) you have to look for the logo with the ladybird, you can see it on TYFLO's website.

Florian
Domaine Florian Beck Hartweg

George Tita

#4 Post by George Tita » January 27th, 2011, 11:31 pm

Thank you, Florian!! Can you tell me approximately how many producers follow TYFLO? I don't ever remember seeing it on any other bottles here in the US.

Looking forward to your visit in April!!
Tanaro River Imports, LLC

Florian BECK-HARTWEG

#5 Post by Florian BECK-HARTWEG » January 28th, 2011, 8:23 am

George,

There is around 50 members. Some of them export to the US, but that's very small proportion of all the wine consumed in the US ;-) Moreover, they not all mention it on the label like we do.

Florian
Domaine Florian Beck Hartweg

Return to “Special Wine Guests - Florian Beck Hartweig (Archive)”