Vielles Vigne Riesling - Drinking window?

George Tita
GCC Member
GCC Member

Vielles Vigne Riesling - Drinking window?

#1 Post by George Tita » January 29th, 2011, 3:18 pm

Hi Florian,
Someone asked me my thoughts on how this wine will evolve, when it will really reach its peak... Having not tasted any of the older vintages of this wine, I pose the same question to you! Do you make this wine every year?

Also, what is the RS versus say the 2008 Riesling "Frankstein"? Man... the 08 is brilliant right now!!!

Thanks!

g.
Tanaro River Imports, LLC

Florian BECK-HARTWEG

Re: Vielles Vigne Riesling - Drinking window?

#2 Post by Florian BECK-HARTWEG » January 30th, 2011, 12:35 am

George,

It really depends on what you like. If you like it very fruity, expressive, and lightly sweet to drink for itself as an aperitive for example, or with exotic dishes, or with fruits, you have to drink it in the next 3-4 years. If you like it to become more mineral, dryer, you have to wait 10+ more years. It will totally change with the time.So it is very interresting to taste a couple now and to save a few bottles for later!
We don't produce it every years, depending on the climate. To tell you teh complete story, we produce that kind of riesling because we don't like botrytised rieslings on our granitic soil: it brakes all the elegance and the nice freshness of the granite. So we prefer to pick those very ripe (almost overripe) rieslings just before noble rot happends. That's why we prefer to produce that kind of Rieslings than late harvest Rieslings. But we really need good weather to manage to reach this maturity level without rotting. That doesn't happends every year, but almost if we do the right preventive work, with very small and resistant grapes. Then sometimes, but only the very best years, we manage to attempt the Late Harvest level before botrytis attacks the grapes, with only dried berries. That gives a unique wine, with an incredible balance. But that only happened 3 times in our history: in 1997, 2007 and 2010. You have the luck to have a few 2007 in your inventory! And the evolution will be the same than for vieilles vignes, fruity now and mineral and almost dry after 10+ years.

RS is quite high in both Vieilles Vignes and late harvest, but the very nice crisp acidity and minerality of the granite give them an almost dry balance (comparing to other dessert wines). Frankstein 08 Riesling is perfectly dry, so completely differently balanced. And is now drinking very well, I agree. For the perfectly dry and mineral Rieslings lovers, I think it is the best one we ever produced. But 2010 won't be bad on that style.... when 2009 will be the opposite style, not sweet at all but rounder and a bit less acidity.

Florian
Domaine Florian Beck Hartweg

Gordon ZenMasterOfZin Ng

#3 Post by Gordon ZenMasterOfZin Ng » January 30th, 2011, 11:11 am

Frankstein 08 Riesling is perfectly dry, so completely differently balanced
^I would like to try 1997 of this one with seafood :-).

I know it will be Jan 31, 2011 en France, by the time I post up a few last questions, but I'm all busy today, and will have to wait until tonight.
Disclaimer: founding member> NJNLC neener
‘You’re smoking crack,’ I was told, and I countered how he was part of the ‘No Joy, No Luck Club.’...c2008 JK

Florian BECK-HARTWEG

#4 Post by Florian BECK-HARTWEG » January 30th, 2011, 11:15 am

I would prefer 2008 than 1997 with seafood, 1997 was a bit rounder. Better 1998 or 1994 Frankstein. 1997 Late harvest tasted today was perfect with cheese, and 2007 Late harvest with oranges salad was THE pairing of the day. (speaking of late harvest Riesling this morning made me curious, so I popped one 97 and one 2007 :-)

No problem I will still be on line after the week, I read the board regulary, so no rush for your questions!

Florian
Domaine Florian Beck Hartweg

Return to “Special Wine Guests - Florian Beck Hartweig (Archive)”