ALINE BALY - HK?

Is there is a business mission afoot to somehow make the sweet wines of Bordeaux more sought after/collectible in the far east considering what the auction houses have recently accomplished in Hong Kong and elsewhere with dry Bordeaux reds?

Thx Aline!

Good morning everyone!

All of us are hoping that the East takes to the Golden wines of Bordeaux as the potential impact could really boost our sales… Right now, that market is very focused on red wines but as their consumers become more educated, we hope that they turn their attention to more niche wines, like Sauternes & Barsac. With each visit to China, I interact with consumers that are more and more enthusiastic and educated – making their way to becoming wine enthusiasts.

I really think that the Asian cuisine is one of the best to pair with our wines. The pairing seems so evident to me (addressing compliment, contrast and texture) that I really think that once their culture comes to include more regularly wine and their palate becomes more sophisticated, we will find more Gold wines on their tables.

Cheers,
Aline

This is what I was thinking too. I always found it odd that we pair these wines with Asian food, but those IN Asia aren’t doing the same. Here’s to hoping that soon changes!

I am sure everyone is hoping sweet wines take off in the far east but I was wondering if you had a more specific business plan set up to try and make that happen.

Considering the secondary marketplace I am glad they are focused on red wines from Bordeaux. Luckily I have had Lafite when younger thru some vintages and don’t lament the fact I’ll not drink it ever again.

Okay – I admit it – I have an MBA (and from a school known for marketing). I love strategy – it drives my uncle a bit crazy when I start talking market size, market penetration, product proliferation, etc. He is right – cause at the end we make wine! But he recognizes that after making the wine, we do have to find the folks that want to consume it.

So to answer your question, yes, Asia does have a place in my strategy. How about we touch base in the future to see if I meet my objective – or am on the path of meeting objective?

As for an regional strategy…All the associations that we belong to regularly visit Asia and take part in promotional activities.

-Aline

Fair enough! I am just hoping I’ll continue to able to afford the sweet wines of Bordeaux thru the denouement of my life.

LOL. It’s all about supply and demand! And since mother nature controls the supply portion of this equation, demand does become a huge factor in pricing. I’ll just say that if prices do go up, you should feel good about this… I have 14 ladies (it is still a very sexist work environment where women are in the vineyard while man are more in the cellar – or in the trucks) who walk 40km a minimum of 11 times a year to tend to their parcels. It doesn’t matter if its heat wave conditions or the ice rain that was coming down yesterday – they are there working hard! Over the past 30 years at Coutet (my grand-father bought the estate in 1977) we’ve been able to provide much safer working conditions for everyone thanks to the re-investments that have been possible all thanks to the wine enthusiasts.

Also – if you look at what’s going on amongst the Gold wines of Bordeaux these days – we’ve got more differentiation in terms of pricing appearing. It use to be that all the crus were squished, with a couple of outliers present. After the 2009 vintage we’ve got a broader price spectrum visible. Will this continue with future vintages? Unfortunately, I don’t have a crystal ball but I do feel that everyone in the appellation is trying to be distinct themselves from their neighbors – and really highlighting what makes them special and unique. And that’s a good thing.

-Aline

I have noticed this as well. While some many other regions seem to mimic their surrounding producers price-wise (with the only price movement being higher!) The Sauternais have seemed to distinguish themselves in this regard with some producers choosing a path away from the pack (Climens & Rieussec come to mind) while others of great quality have become relatively more reasonable economically.

I prefer the versatility of Barsac wines as I feel they do well with salads and fish but still find a place for the lush sweetness of Sauternes.