Halcon Vineyards '09 Alturas (free ground shipping)

Halcón Vineyards

Halcón Vineyards 2009 Alturas
Located in the Mendocino County appellation of Yorkville Highlands, Halcón Vineyards overlook Anderson Valley and the Pacific beyond. At 2500ft it is one of the highest vineyards in California. The northerly location, ocean exposure and altitude combine to produce a climate remarkably similar to the Northern Rhône region of France.
Halcón Vineyards sits on a geologic band known as Yorkville Complex, a rare soil type based on fractured shale, mica-schist and quartz-rich rock. This ancient rock erodes into a thin layer of extremely low vigor soil; the very same soils that garner fame to Côte-Rôtie.
Halcón Vineyards is planted on mountainous, high altitude chaparral. The thin, fast-draining soils support very few trees; perfect ground for vines. The vineyards are densely planted with 3ft by 2m spacing, 2200 vines per acre. This density increases competition for water and nutrients, driving root structures deeper and providing riper fruit at lower sugar levels.

List is $38 for our 2009 Halcon Alturas Syrah. We will do $30/bottle with a minimum of 3 bottles. Free ground shipping in the US.
Email us the order to info@halconvineyards.com and include a phone number and we call and get CC info.

2009 Alturas
2009 was very even and cool. The dry winter led to very small, thick-skinned berries, while the chilly, breezy spring resulted in some shatter, naturally thinning the clusters. The moderate summer allowed for very even ripening at low sugar levels. The Syrah for Alturas was picked October 11th, one day before a substantial early-autumn rain. The 2009 Halcón Alturas comprises 100% Syrah from a selection of soils and exposures of Halcón Vineyards. All of the Syrah clones and selections are represented. We are proud to say that this wine was fermented with natural yeasts and there were no adjustments to acid or alcohol. Malolactic fermentation moved extremely slowly, completing in May 2010. This wine is a singular and pure expression of the vineyard.

REVIEWS
Tanzer May 2011 “Lurid purple. Ripe red and dark berries on the nose, with notes of licorice and violet adding complexity. Broad, fleshy and deep in dark fruit character, showing a velvety texture and subtle notes of candied flowers and fruitcake. Rich but energetic, finishing with strong thrust and lingering spiciness. I like this wine’s energy. This vineyard, situated at 2,500 feet above sea level, has been a fruit source for a number of producers, notably Copain. This is the owner’s first estate-bottled effort. 90”
Jeb Dunnuck Rhone Report December 2011 “Showing every bit as well from bottle as it did from barrel, the 2009 Halcon Vineyards Syrah Alturas delivers a seriously mineral-driven bouquet with pure black and blue fruits, violets, dusty earth, and chocolate nuances rounding out the aromatics. Awesomely detailed and pure on the palate, with laser like focus, a rich, silky texture, medium to full-body, and ample length on the finish, this deserve 2-3 years of bottle age, and should easily evolve gracefully for 12-15 years or more. (94 pts.)”

Sent email.

A bunch of NYC berserkers had this on Tuesday night at the Anthill Farms Dinner and it was REAL tasty! I’m in for a 3 pack.

Bought 6, based on Jeb and Tanzer both really liking this. Seems like a steal at $30, all-in!

Yes, really good. Traci and I had it at their wine dinner at Camino in Oakland. We bought a 3 pack each or I’d be in on this…

Aaaand this offer pops my cherry.

[truce.gif]

In for three, can’t pass with the recommendations and notes.

In on these

thanks

3 fo me.

In for 3. Another fun new wine to try.

I’m in

In for 4! Thank you!

Damnit! I’m in!!!

This seems like a cant miss? Never had before tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 for me as well. Thanks for a wonderful offer.

Has anyone gotten a call from Halcon yet to get cc info?

no phone call yet

No call yet.

Paul and Valerie both have day jobs - not sure if they are working at them today or not - but I’m sure they’ll get back to you all as soon as they can.

No affiliation with the wines. Just occasionally drink wine with them.

Thanks Tony. [cheers.gif]

To all

We will be calling on the credit cards tomorrow (Saturday). Hope that works for all of you. Day jobs keeping us busy today.
Thanks to all of you that bought.

Cheers