2021 West Coast Weather and Farming Thread

Discussions and questions (vintages, winemaking, etc) for those ITB. All are welcome to post.
Michael Baryla
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

Re: 2021 West Coast Weather and Farming Thread

#401 Post by Michael Baryla »

Went up to my vineyard over the weekend. Yields were underestimated and a lot of people in Oregon are hanging heavy. Ran out of bins halfway through our Albarino pick. Sauvignon Blanc is in at 24.2/3.17 and is fermenting away in barrel now. Same with the Albarino (22.3/3.15) and one block of Chardonnay. Another block needs a week. Pinot picking tomorrow with the rest of the Alb. Gamay in 10-14 days probably.

Should be a great year in Oregon. Some rain coming this week might help push back some picks. We welcome a bit of rain, let some of the fruit develop a but more. Lucked out in finding some more tanks we hadn't planned for but barrels are either not enough or still stuck in port.
Tekstura Wine Co - Eola Amity Hills - First Vintage 2021 Coming Soon-ish
CaWineTime.com

Casey Hartlip

#402 Post by Casey Hartlip »

I had a good friend who runs 100's of acres here in AV and they had 10 hand crews picking last night. Like us they are behind as well. Like us he's lost some fruit he couldn't get to in time. We picked Gewurtz today. Thank goodness everyone showed.....as nobody likes to pick that shit....and we finished another block. We crossed 400 tons today. It was nice to sleep to 6:00 yesterday and get caught up on data entry etc. Big Chard day tomorrow with multiple clients and transportation logistics. Big day Wednesday in still wine Pinot. Same issues: many folks to satisfy from half ton home winemakers to important single vineyard clients that count on us. The pressure this next two weeks is huge. Oh and maybe a bit of weather Saturday? Won't that be fun.
IMG_20210913_155706689.jpg
Stuff we lost to the drought/heat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ordway's Valley Foothills

Karen Troisi
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#403 Post by Karen Troisi »

Brought in Malbec today from Beckstoffer Melrose in Rutherford. Beautiful fruit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jean Edwards Cellars
ITB - You should only make wines you love to drink.

Andrew Demaree
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#404 Post by Andrew Demaree »

Casey Hartlip wrote: September 13th, 2021, 2:42 pm I had a good friend who runs 100's of acres here in AV and they had 10 hand crews picking last night. Like us they are behind as well. Like us he's lost some fruit he couldn't get to in time. We picked Gewurtz today. Thank goodness everyone showed.....as nobody likes to pick that shit....and we finished another block. We crossed 400 tons today. It was nice to sleep to 6:00 yesterday and get caught up on data entry etc. Big Chard day tomorrow with multiple clients and transportation logistics. Big day Wednesday in still wine Pinot. Same issues: many folks to satisfy from half ton home winemakers to important single vineyard clients that count on us. The pressure this next two weeks is huge. Oh and maybe a bit of weather Saturday? Won't that be fun.
Curious, Casey…what’s different about picking gewurtz?

Casey Hartlip

#405 Post by Casey Hartlip »

Andrew Demaree wrote: September 13th, 2021, 6:10 pm
Casey Hartlip wrote: September 13th, 2021, 2:42 pm I had a good friend who runs 100's of acres here in AV and they had 10 hand crews picking last night. Like us they are behind as well. Like us he's lost some fruit he couldn't get to in time. We picked Gewurtz today. Thank goodness everyone showed.....as nobody likes to pick that shit....and we finished another block. We crossed 400 tons today. It was nice to sleep to 6:00 yesterday and get caught up on data entry etc. Big Chard day tomorrow with multiple clients and transportation logistics. Big day Wednesday in still wine Pinot. Same issues: many folks to satisfy from half ton home winemakers to important single vineyard clients that count on us. The pressure this next two weeks is huge. Oh and maybe a bit of weather Saturday? Won't that be fun.
A very short stem and small cluster and berry size. Takes more of them to fill a bucket. Add to that price per ton is less than pinot/chard, it's like why grow it?

Guillermo M
GCC Member
GCC Member

#406 Post by Guillermo M »

Casey Hartlip wrote: September 13th, 2021, 7:06 pm
Andrew Demaree wrote: September 13th, 2021, 6:10 pm
A very short stem and small cluster and berry size. Takes more of them to fill a bucket. Add to that price per ton is less than pinot/chard, it's like why grow it?

Good question. Wines made from it taste like sucking on a watermelon-scented candle.
Guillermo M e n a

WOTY candidates as of 9/21:
2019 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Sonnenuhr “Ur” alte Reben
2019 Huet Vouvray Le Haut-Lieu Sec
2019 Skouras Moschofilero Salto
2018 Carlisle Papera Ranch Zinfandel
2017 Artemis Karamolegos Pyritis Mega Cuvee Santorini
2019 Raúl Pérez Atalier a cruz das ánimas Rías Baixas

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#407 Post by larry schaffer »

Whoa - no love for Gewurztraminer? Casey, I agree that it is not easy to pick - and no one I knows grows it with VSP - seems to all be old school 'California Sprawl'. That said, I dig making this variety, and I am making two versions of mine this year - one bone dry and the other on the skins for 36 hours that I'll probably leave with about 1% RS or so . . .

Cheers!
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Guillermo M
GCC Member
GCC Member

#408 Post by Guillermo M »

I’m sorry, I just have a literally visceral dislike for it and it was an easy dunk. But I did not mean to imply others shouldn’t drink it, of course. To each their own.

I wish I liked it. I love varieties also used commonly for off-white and sweet wines Riesling and Chenin Blanc. I like other aromatic whites like Albariño, Torrontés, Viognier, Muscat Blanc, Muscat of Alexandria and Moschofilero.

But I can’t deal with the watermelon/lychee of gew.

Sorry for the change of topic.
Guillermo M e n a

WOTY candidates as of 9/21:
2019 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Sonnenuhr “Ur” alte Reben
2019 Huet Vouvray Le Haut-Lieu Sec
2019 Skouras Moschofilero Salto
2018 Carlisle Papera Ranch Zinfandel
2017 Artemis Karamolegos Pyritis Mega Cuvee Santorini
2019 Raúl Pérez Atalier a cruz das ánimas Rías Baixas

Casey Hartlip

#409 Post by Casey Hartlip »

First afternoon in a long time where a cool, fall like breeze is blowing down Anderson Valley. Yesterday we picked Chard for 4 different clients, today was Pinot for 4 more and 2 home winemakers. Pretty silly to put myself through this. I have bins scattered everywhere. Bobtail trucks, goosenecks and semis have been in and out.

Today was the first day that I could see my crew is wearing thin. I'm scheduling less fruit per day now. We're also getting into smaller clustered varieties which goes slower. The phone is now much quieter as many people have been taken care of. Although the worst is over, there's still many difficult days ahead. A cooling trend is coming and the chance of a sprinkle on Sunday would be welcomed.

T Klonoski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#410 Post by T Klonoski »

Casey, many thinks for your continuing to post regularly despited a very hectic final harvest.
T0m . . . . watered back

Casey Hartlip

#411 Post by Casey Hartlip »

Certainly Merrill has picked? Eight days ago at 25 brix and with all this heat?

Karen Troisi
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#412 Post by Karen Troisi »

Beckstoffer Orchard Avenue merlot (Oak Knoll) - pretty excited as this is some of the best looking and tasting fruit we’ve ever brought in from this vineyard.
Jean Edwards Cellars

Casey Hartlip

#413 Post by Casey Hartlip »

Picked 1100 pounds of Pinot for our home wine project. A very nice neighboring winery destemmed for us. Then we picked 5 nice full buckets of fruit and tossed that in for good measure. Will run the numbers tomorrow after a night of soaking.

This rain coming seems real. Predicting possibly a quarter inch Saturday night. We don't have anything scheduled Sunday but we might hold off until Tuesday to let things dry out. I also wouldn't mind two days off too. Might look for a deer to shoot Sunday.

Al Osterheld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#414 Post by Al Osterheld »

I was going to ask whether you were going to make a wine this year. You seemed to have become partial to Pinot.

-Al

Roy Piper

#415 Post by Roy Piper »

I had Moulds set for 9/23. But still not there flavor-wise. With 3 cool days coming plus possible rain Sunday, pushed it back to 9/28. Greer feels like 10/3. In other words... standard pick dates.
ITB, text me anytime at 707-266-4168

Ben M a n d l e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#416 Post by Ben M a n d l e r »

Karen Troisi wrote: September 16th, 2021, 12:59 pm Beckstoffer Orchard Avenue merlot (Oak Knoll) - pretty excited as this is some of the best looking and tasting fruit we’ve ever brought in from this vineyard.
Karen that is BEAUTIFUL looking fruit. The kind that makes me think “ahh but do we have to make it all into wine? *munch*”
ITB - I work in a wine lab.

Glen Gold
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#417 Post by Glen Gold »

Karen Troisi wrote: September 16th, 2021, 12:59 pm Beckstoffer Orchard Avenue merlot (Oak Knoll) - pretty excited as this is some of the best looking and tasting fruit we’ve ever brought in from this vineyard.
Btw, if folks reading this haven't tried the Jean Edwards merlot or malbec, you're missing out.

Bdklein
GCC Member
GCC Member

#418 Post by Bdklein »

T Klonoski wrote: September 15th, 2021, 5:08 pm Casey, many thinks for your continuing to post regularly despited a very hectic final harvest.
+1
B r u c € K 1 e 1 n

Karen Troisi
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#419 Post by Karen Troisi »

Ben M a n d l e r wrote: September 16th, 2021, 9:32 pm
Karen that is BEAUTIFUL looking fruit. The kind that makes me think “ahh but do we have to make it all into wine? *munch*”
I’ll admit I did snack on a few - but its an expensive snack LOL.
Jean Edwards Cellars

Casey Hartlip

#420 Post by Casey Hartlip »

IMG_20210917_060648133.jpg
Morning dew on night picked Chard. It got down to 43 this morning. My crew is hanging in there. Will have almost all the Chard off tomorrow, with just one last field to go. LOTS of Pinot is ready and so are we.
By end of day tomorrow, we'll have 500 tons in, with about 120-140 to go. What's left if the high priced shit that is the gravy.

Wes Barton

#421 Post by Wes Barton »

Karen Troisi wrote: September 17th, 2021, 6:08 am
Ben M a n d l e r wrote: September 16th, 2021, 9:32 pm
I’ll admit I did snack on a few - but its an expensive snack LOL.
It's called quality control and it's professional. [berserker.gif]
ITB - Useless lackey

Can't stand bloody wax capsules.

Al Osterheld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#422 Post by Al Osterheld »

You have to eat a few, make a guess at the Brix, and make sage comments about the character of the vintage.

-Al

Casey Hartlip

#423 Post by Casey Hartlip »

Kind of guessing Merrill is on her post harvest trip to Boston? Whatever.
Finished a big Chard field that we took three different picks to do. Clone 548 which is a great tasting ...but not a great cropping grape. I planted this field in 2010. Finally we had a decent 4 tons/acre crop out there...and that was after weak shoot thinning. Pinot know of picking slightly above estimate.
After the crew headed out to the field, I sat on the forklift at the loading area.....at 3.55 am this morning and started to get a bit reflective about the vintage and my career. I was definitely a drama queen 10 days ago when we couldn't pick it fast enough, but now it's more orderly yet still serious business. I still want to think that 85% of my clients are happy but we'll visit that in the spring. The one thing: I love and appreciate my dedicated crew.

Karen Troisi
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#424 Post by Karen Troisi »

Al Osterheld wrote: September 17th, 2021, 3:14 pm You have to eat a few, make a guess at the Brix, and make sage comments about the character of the vintage.

-Al
😁😁😁😁

- ate a few berries ✅
- right around 25 +/- ✅
- too soon to tell but fruit looks and tastes amazing and I don’t want to jinx anything. Across all grape types we are seeing low yields ✅
Jean Edwards Cellars

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#425 Post by Merrill Lindquist »

This is my 22nd harvest! I find I react to the impending harvest morning in one of 2 ways: 1) I want to talk to everyone about it or 2) I get quiet and pretty much antisocial. This year is a #2.

I'm not always sure what defines one year from another. The fruit is gorgeous and will be picked tomorrow morning at 6:30. I am under contract to sell my fruit this year to TRB's new venture, Elusa Winery, down the street at the new Four Seasons Resort (see my thread in Wine Talk).

Also new this year is that a very close family member has been diagnosed with Myesthenia Gravis. I have been lending daily support to him while he endures this horrible disease. So I have been a bit quiet but have been loving this 2021 growing season. My vines were not water deprived; they enjoyed their organic fish fertilizer throughout the growing season; they have received personal care, as always.

Can't wait for harvest tomorrow morning!
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

Roy Piper

#426 Post by Roy Piper »

Red Flag for Napa and Sonoma. It is a bit breezy and humidity will plunge tomorrow. But we got a bit wet and I think if fires do break out that we can get a grip on em fast.

Casey Hartlip

#427 Post by Casey Hartlip »

Merrill, will be curious as to the numbers on your fruit

Karen Troisi
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#428 Post by Karen Troisi »

If anyone is interested - here's a short video of our pick on Saturday at Atlas Peak. It's a small vineyard but very labor intensive to pick.
Jean Edwards Cellars

Casey Hartlip

#429 Post by Casey Hartlip »

IMG_20210920_073216812.jpg
Could have got lost out there this morning the fog was SO thick. Luckily only 52 degrees, but the crew was soaked in minutes. Chardonnay is wrapped. Time for some big Pinot days now.

Jason L.
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#430 Post by Jason L. »

Was just in our site on Diamond Mtn yesterday. Brix went slightly backward last week. Probably 10 days out.
Stereophonic Wine
Wines from Paso, SLO and Napa. Something different - see our BD12 Newbie Intro.
Founder, Jason Lefler
🎧🍷

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#431 Post by Merrill Lindquist »

From my pick yesterday morning: 25.8 Brix; 2.6 tons. Very typical for my vineyard.
Merrill

Casey Hartlip

#432 Post by Casey Hartlip »

So here comes Casey the cyber bully:

On 9/8 it was 24.9 and yesterday picked at 25.8? I'm guessing the sample on the 8th wasn't accurate?

Roy Piper

#433 Post by Roy Piper »

Drove down to Santa Rita Hills in a rented reefer truck yesterday.... got 2 tons of Pinot picked off from Sanford & Benedict, drove all the way back today. 20-hours driving since yesterday at 7am. Exhausted. But very happy with the quality of the fruit. Next time I will pay a company to haul it up.

Jason L.
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#434 Post by Jason L. »

Casey Hartlip wrote: September 21st, 2021, 5:27 pm So here comes Casey the cyber bully:

On 9/8 it was 24.9 and yesterday picked at 25.8? I'm guessing the sample on the 8th wasn't accurate?
kind of a funny week with a couple drizzles (and a bit of irrigation). the vineyard manager at our spot got 23.5 on the 10th and i got 23.3 yesterday. possible he sampled less of the vineyard than i did. hard to explain.
Stereophonic Wine
Wines from Paso, SLO and Napa. Something different - see our BD12 Newbie Intro.
Founder, Jason Lefler
🎧🍷

Bdklein
GCC Member
GCC Member

#435 Post by Bdklein »

Merrill Lindquist wrote: September 21st, 2021, 1:53 pm From my pick yesterday morning: 25.8 Brix; 2.6 tons. Very typical for my vineyard.
Merrill,

Curious if you were making the wine would you have picked earlier, later, or right around the same time ?
B r u c € K 1 e 1 n

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#436 Post by Merrill Lindquist »

25.8B and 2.6 tons are right in my wheelhouse, as I said above.
Merrill

Bdklein
GCC Member
GCC Member

#437 Post by Bdklein »

Merrill Lindquist wrote: September 22nd, 2021, 1:35 pm 25.8B and 2.6 tons are right in my wheelhouse, as I said above.
Thanks , although not the answer for which I was looking.
B r u c € K 1 e 1 n

Adam Frisch

#438 Post by Adam Frisch »

Roy Piper wrote: September 21st, 2021, 5:55 pm Drove down to Santa Rita Hills in a rented reefer truck yesterday.... got 2 tons of Pinot picked off from Sanford & Benedict, drove all the way back today. 20-hours driving since yesterday at 7am. Exhausted. But very happy with the quality of the fruit. Next time I will pay a company to haul it up.
You still have to drop the bins! [wink.gif]
Sabelli-Frisch Wines

Owner, proprietor and winemaker at Sabelli-Frisch Wines. I make wine from low-impact vineyards, focus on rare, forgotten, under-appreciated or historic grape varietals. Mission grape is my main red focus. IG: sabellifrisch

Casey Hartlip

#439 Post by Casey Hartlip »

The last couple of hot days haven't helped anything. We are picking Pinot that is less than perfect. This is the time of harvest that we are 'bringing it in'. The good thing is the clients we are picking for know how to deal with high brix fruit. We have some pretty difficult days ahead. Lots of important tons to bring in.
The crew has really embraced the 4:00 am pick. Most of the crew is in the field at 3:50 am. I can't tell you how many days were we're picking until 1:00 in the heat and the winery bitching about overtime and hit fruit years ago. Will pass 550 tons tomorrow.

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#440 Post by larry schaffer »

Though it heated up the past two days, things are still moving relatively slowly here in SBC. All sauv blanc is in and folks are deep into chardonnay. As Roy points out, folks are starting to pick pinot in the past few days - I'll have my first two picks tomorrow from the Kessler-Haak Vineyard, just on the other side of the valley from Sanford and Benedict. The weather looks to be settling in to a pattern of high 70s/low 80s during the day and high 40s/low 50s at night in most places so it looks like things will continue to move slowly and this will be a long, extended harvest . . . unless we have more heat spikes . . .

Cheers.
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Adam Frisch

#441 Post by Adam Frisch »

larry schaffer wrote: September 23rd, 2021, 9:41 am Though it heated up the past two days, things are still moving relatively slowly here in SBC. All sauv blanc is in and folks are deep into chardonnay. As Roy points out, folks are starting to pick pinot in the past few days - I'll have my first two picks tomorrow from the Kessler-Haak Vineyard, just on the other side of the valley from Sanford and Benedict. The weather looks to be settling in to a pattern of high 70s/low 80s during the day and high 40s/low 50s at night in most places so it looks like things will continue to move slowly and this will be a long, extended harvest . . . unless we have more heat spikes . . .

Cheers.
That's great, because I have one pick in Santa Ynez and one in Arroyo Seco coming up, but I'm in Toronto for my other work and can't get to them until beginning of Oct. The Arroyo Seco one is at 21 brix, but still very high acid, so hoping it will not cross 22 brix before beginning of Oct. The slower they progress, the better for me.

Unfortunately, when you're a very small one man winery, the logistics of everyday life sometimes dictates pick time.
Sabelli-Frisch Wines

Owner, proprietor and winemaker at Sabelli-Frisch Wines. I make wine from low-impact vineyards, focus on rare, forgotten, under-appreciated or historic grape varietals. Mission grape is my main red focus. IG: sabellifrisch

Casey Hartlip

#442 Post by Casey Hartlip »

Our half ton of Jackson Pinot is perking along. Only punching down twice daily to build a bit more heat. Smelling great. As this is primitive winemaking, we're not checking temp or brix as it moves along. I put my hand in it twice daily and taste it off my fingers. Probably going to press it off Saturday after picking a good sized lot of Pinot for a client. That should make for a long day.
We will likely finish harvest 2021 with very good numbers: both crop and income. It should feel pretty good to not go out on a down year.

Casey Hartlip

#443 Post by Casey Hartlip »

IMG_20210924_073841086_HDR.jpg
Salvage pick of Gewurtz. Might pick late harvest in a few weeks.

Casey Hartlip

#444 Post by Casey Hartlip »

Another milestone today: I delivered fruit to Navarro for the 43rd consecutive year in a row. 30 years from Eaglepoint (Cab, Syr, PS, Zin) and all of the things from the current job. I've been through only three different winemakers in that time and the current one has been there since 1993. We took both Reisling and Gewurtz and that will be my final delivery to our neighbors from me. Starting to feel a bit surreal.

Sean Devaney

#445 Post by Sean Devaney »

Casey Hartlip wrote: September 24th, 2021, 7:14 pm Another milestone today: I delivered fruit to Navarro for the 43rd consecutive year in a row. 30 years from Eaglepoint (Cab, Syr, PS, Zin) and all of the things from the current job. I've been through only three different winemakers in that time and the current one has been there since 1993. We took both Reisling and Gewurtz and that will be my final delivery to our neighbors from me. Starting to feel a bit surreal.
Congrats Casey that is really impressive! No wonder your mug always is showing up in their mailers.

But I have to ask where is that LH Gwtz going to end up?

Casey Hartlip

#446 Post by Casey Hartlip »

Sean Devaney wrote: September 24th, 2021, 8:35 pm
Casey Hartlip wrote: September 24th, 2021, 7:14 pm Another milestone today: I delivered fruit to Navarro for the 43rd consecutive year in a row. 30 years from Eaglepoint (Cab, Syr, PS, Zin) and all of the things from the current job. I've been through only three different winemakers in that time and the current one has been there since 1993. We took both Reisling and Gewurtz and that will be my final delivery to our neighbors from me. Starting to feel a bit surreal.
Congrats Casey that is really impressive! No wonder your mug always is showing up in their mailers.

But I have to ask where is that LH Gwtz going to end up?
The Gewurtz we picked yesterday is going into a table wine product it was only 27 brix. They can fix that. We're talking to a potential client about a late harvest lot that would have to be over 30 to qualify..... we'll see.

Casey Hartlip

#447 Post by Casey Hartlip »

IMG_20210925_094139119_HDR.jpg
My amazing crew picked 15+ tons of this crazy small clustered clone 943 this morning. What a bitch!

Then for fun, pressed off our bin of Jackson clone Pinot with our stupid small press. Fun though.
IMG_20210925_114803468.jpg

Edward H. Earles

#448 Post by Edward H. Earles »

Casey Hartlip wrote: September 25th, 2021, 4:59 pm IMG_20210925_094139119_HDR.jpg
My amazing crew picked 15+ tons of this crazy small clustered clone 943 this morning. What a bitch!
What is that destined for, Casey? I see a lot of flavor packed into that little cluster.

Casey Hartlip

#449 Post by Casey Hartlip »

Hey Ed, that fruit will unfortunately be part of a blend for a rather large brand. When you grow as many different fields as we do, not everything ends up in products you are excited about. I'm waiting for the chemistry on that clone 943. It tasted crazy sweet and will likely get watered back pretty hard. Of all our years making a barrel from our fruit, I never made wine from that stuff.

Edit: I just heard from the client and that fruit was 26.6 brix/3.54 PH/.53 TA. Give it a little Jesus juice and tartaric and your there. My issue how much less the fruit may have weighted picking at that level, and how it's probably not really going to taste like Anderson Valley Pinot when it's done.

Wes Barton

#450 Post by Wes Barton »

Edward H. Earles wrote: September 26th, 2021, 2:41 am
Casey Hartlip wrote: September 25th, 2021, 4:59 pm IMG_20210925_094139119_HDR.jpg
What is that destined for, Casey? I see a lot of flavor packed into that little cluster.
I only have experience with one vineyard with 943. Amazing stuff, wonderful aromatics. But, the consensus among the grower and the four winemakers using the fruit is that its a great blending component, but wouldn't make a great stand alone wine.
ITB - Useless lackey

Can't stand bloody wax capsules.

Return to “Cellar Rats (ITB)”