Rose help

I over-macerated and ended up more red than pink. Any nifty tricks for lightening up a rose? My fallback would be to just pick some more PN and go direct to press with it, but I’m not really looking to increase my volume that much if there’s an easier way. Charcoal? Count on eventual SO2 add to bleach some color?

I’ve heard that Lysozyme can reduce color in Pinot, sometimes greatly reducing color. I assume it’d work really well on your Pinot Rose.

I don’t believe Lysozyme has this effect on other varieties, only on Pinot cuz it’s color molecule is slightly defective.

That’s perfect. Two birds with one stone, as I’d like to inhibit MLF anyway.

SO2 and lysozyme are the two I’ve seen used. Lysozyme had an affect on a mixed italian blend so I believe it works on more than just Pinot Rose.

I don’t know if my experience with small batch home wine making translates but I have made rose that I thought was too red when I pressed that ended up just fine without doing anything. I don’t work with pinot and maceration periods have never exceeded 24 hours.

When making rose of PN i like to get 2 shades darker color at pressing. A lot falls out during fermentation and ageing.

How did it turn out? Wish I’d seen this question earlier. You’d be surprised how much color you lose between SO2, filtration and bentonite if you’re heat-stabilizing.

It turned out to be a fortuitous error when the subsequent heat spike came along. The would-be rose got blended back into the main lot of pinot to punch up the red fruit component that seemed to take a hit with the heat spike. If I hadn’t had the would-be rose as a hedge against overripeness, I’d have been more tempted to pick earlier than I would really have liked around the time of the heat spike. As it turned out, the heat spike didn’t push brix or acid as far as I had feared, but it did shift the flavor profile toward the blacker end of the fruit spectrum, and over-macerated rose was just what the doctor ordered.

This is why I love this sub-forum. Thanks for all the participants.