Winery pumps

I’m looking at getting a new pump for the winery and can’t decide between a lobe pump or a helical screw one, AKA mono-pump.

My criteria are that it is gentle on the wine, hygienic, has no unwanted backflow and doesn’t pulse like a peristaltic one.

Does anyone have any advice?

Jon - Have you seen this video from Carlsen Assoc?

pU88nD15_k0

We just got an Oenopompe 130 and are loving it. Pricey but worth it.

http://www.pmh-vinicole.fr/en/wine-pump-oenopompe.html

What flow rates and what uses do you want this pump to do? Air drive diaphragms like the first one in the Carlsen video are great for the money. Mechanically very simple and run on compressed air so infinitely adjustable speeds and don’t need 3 phase power. But of course do need compressed air.

These are nice but they can be very difficult to dial in at exactly the speed you want them to move wine at. I also wouldn’t advise trying to filter with something that pulses like that.

Very nice for transferring, and they’ll take a bit of debris through them without screwing anything up or clogging the pump like in an impeller.

Thanks for the responses. I did a trial with an oenopump 180 that worked pretty well but it was very noisy at higher speeds and also had some fiddly electronic pressure controllers and physical drainers that I felt were more things that could go wrong compared to the Kiesel. It also costs about 4000€ more.

So I’m going to go for the Kiesel, which I’ve used in two other wineries before.