Quick Question Regarding Delivery Issues

I sent off five cases for delivery to an account and got a confirmation from the shipping company that all five were delivered. The account is saying that only four were delivered and he wasn’t looking carefully when he signed for the delivery.

I do not believe that the account is lying and think that only four were probably delivered.

What is my recourse here? What can or should I do?

Is the customer liable for case because they signed for it?

Thanks for any and all assistance.

I don’t know the definitive answer but I would think the customer signing for it makes it his responsibility. Also not all of this adds up. Hard to believe that you couldn’t tell you had four or five boxes. I could see if it was a much bigger delivery.

I sign for stuff all the time at my business. The FedEx guy dumps a pile of boxes on the dock, hands you a handheld signature pad and says “have a nice day.” It takes awhile to figure out what you just got.
I think legally if you have proof of delivery for 5 cases, that’s it, but then the issue of goodwill and customer service comes into play.

Thanks for the feedback thus far. I agree with both of you, but can see how someone might just sign something and not realize what was actually delivered.

This is a small but important account and there for Goodwill will probably Rule the Day. I just hate to see myself out of full case of wine.

Larry,

Was this GSO? We had a similar issue last week but we realized just in time that they were one case short and made them change the paperwork. The winery was about to send a replacement and then GSO found the “missing” case.

I’d say make it good and contact the shipping company to see if they have it.

Richard,

It was GSO - and it turned out that even though they said they delivered 5 cases, they had actually only delivered 4 - and the 5th one turned out to be ‘damaged’. Thank goodness the account reached out to me for I fear this would have fallen through the cracks . . .

By the way, which retailer do you work for in SF?

Cheers.