What wine jobs are there for people with a quantitative background?

Hi all,

Excuse me if this is in the wrong board… I think this is the most appropriate place for it.

I’m very interested in leveraging data and wine together, I’m a data scientist with a background in statistics and machine learning. I think there are a lot of opportunities for data and wine (e.g. wine recommenders, wine as an investment vehicle, data journalism etc.,) but I don’t really see those jobs out there.

Anyone, know of any companies that are kind of leveraging wine and data? I know there’s Bright Cellars but it doesn’t seem to be a real wine-focused business as much as it is another subscription service with wines for ‘regular’ people.

This is the closest that I can think of:

The best online resource for wine jobs is probably http://winejobs.com

There are many options, but few are “pure play” analytics jobs.

Big Picture, there are opportunities among:

Lenders servicing the Wine Industry
M&A Firms serving the Wine Industry (my firm just hired a quant analyst)
Software Providers to the Industry
Larger Multi-Brand/Multi-National Wine Producers (some have HQ analytics teams)

There is a fair amount of crossover with Brewing and Spirits as well.

One place to look for potential leads is:

Unified is the largest trade show in the U.S. and looking at the vendor list may stoke a few ideas.

Good luck!

Thank you! Found two positions that fit.

I looked at the large multi-brand wine producers too. I feel like, at that scale, they’re like any other retail company and will have analytics need. I guess I’m looking for something that is quantitative but still relatively hands-on with wine.

Thank you so much! These are great leads. As I dive down deeper I’m also finding out there is a treasure trove of data surrounding wine.