Champagne extra aging in cellar

Hi all,

I have recently started to take note of some big Champagne houses offer some high end Champagne collections that claim to be aged 10 year + in their own cellar before releasing onto the market, while making with a certain vintage of harvest. My question is - what exactly makes these expensive Champagne different than those regular vintage bottles that was bought back then at release and existed until today? Basically, do we simply pay the high premium for buying a bottle just to have the Champagne hoses cellar these bottles in their own properties?

I appreciate any feedbacks, thank you.

Peter - Welcome. You might get more responses if you put this question in the Wine Talk subforum. The only difference would be if the champagne was stored for that long period on it’s lees and not yet disgorged. Once disgorged it makes no difference if it was their location or yours for storage. They will most certainly charge for storage time as bottles do take up significant space in some of the large producers.

Hi Gary - thank you for your feedback. I have posted the same question under Wine Talk subforum.