T-bin capacity?

Does anyone pick into T-bins on a regular basis and have an idea of the standard tonnage they hold when full? I mean just-picked, not crushed fruit. I get that the “T” stands for “ton,” but they don’t seem to actually hold that much.

A TBin has 1.36 times the capacity of a half ton macro bin. A TBin has 32.2 cubic feet capacity. A half ton macro has 23.6 cubic feet capacity.

Other specs:

Side note: it was hard has hell to get duckduckgo to find/show these, and worse with google. For example, using ‘dimension’ in my search query would show nothing useful…‘dimensions’ otoh should show several useful links. Ok, and why is that? I use to write stuff like this, so I took it as a challenge.

Never PICKED into a T bin just ferment. Polly about time to get mine cleaned up. Would guess we’ll put some Pinot in it soon.

Thanks. That matches pretty closely with what I heard from another guy who picked two full T-bins and weighed out at 2675 lbs. I might have expected it to hold more weight in relation to its capacity due to extra compaction as the grapes are piled higher.

I’ve worked at places where we harvested into Super T’s (or 48’s, depending on your nomenclature). Cut down workload immensely.

Are you going to ferment in it?

No, it was just a matter of trying to figure tonnage at harvest – picking for a small winemaker hauling in a truck that was too narrow between the wheel wells to accomodate regular macros.

Thousand pounds of whole cluster is very brimmed.

You can get specs on all sizes at macroplastics.com.

Depends on the varietal and if you’re talking about a true tbin or a 48 (which are commonly, generically referred to as tbins as well). In a macro bin, you can hold about .4T of loose cluster Napa Cab (very high stem to fruit ratio) versus .54T of Sauvignon Blanc, Muscat, Zin etc (very low stem to fruit ratio). So in a true tbin, you could hold .54T of loose cluster or .73T of tight cluster vs in a 48, you could hold .9T loose and 1.2T tight.

If we are talking about what I consider a T-Bin, I get .75 tons into em easily and ferment quite nicely. The larger ones that many use can hold 1.2 tons but I find those harder to punch down.