Pinot Noir yield per vine

Hi Folks,

I am trying to plan the likely yield for a small vineyard I am planting in Sonoma County in the spring.

I know there are many factors that effect yield, such as vineyard spacing, pruning, clone, rootstock, etc. However I am just trying to understand what a typical yield per vine would be. I am probably going to plant 300 vines with 5 feet row spacing and 4 feet vine spacing.

I can’t find much online other than a pdf for Oregon yields by row spacing.

Thanks

Gavin

I can take a stand. I just picked a few vines of 1995 Martini clone Pinot for the whole cluster portion of my fermentation. I got about 12 lbs per vine. Spaced 9x6.

Our 25 acres in the Santa Rita Hills on 8X6 spacing with 777, 667, Pommard 4 & 115 clones produced around 4-5 lbs. per vine in a “normal” year.

Another data point I just got from a vineyard guy is around 6-7 pounds per vine.

Backtracking here a bit. 10 pounds per vine.

125 grams per cluster (you can change the weight) X clusters per vine X total vines. 454 grams per pound.

Gavin - For another perspective from the right coast Alice Wise of Cornell’s Long Island Extension Office in Suffolk County NY tabulates her harvests from her experimental vineyard and can be found here … Cornell Cooperative Extension | Grape Research and Extension . The vintages are on the right side of this page under the LIHREC Research Vineyard Data. She has one pinot noir clone(Pommard) planted in this vineyard but her reported data is rock solid from many different perspectives. Early on in the vintage data she had clone 115 but I no longer see it in recent years… At the bottom of each sheet it explains the spacing used.