PSA - use eye protection for pruning!

Just a reminder to make sure to use eye protection when pruning.
I had a few spare minutes late this morning and thought I would christen a new set of shears by prepruning a few long shoots. On the fourth cut, a shoot snapped back and caught me in the eye. Fortunately no effect to my sight but blood streaming from the side of my eyeball.
Took three hours at the ER to have the eye fully cleaned, imaged and get a prescription for antibiotic eyewash.
I am going to make sure to always use eye protection in the future no matter how short the pruning session.

Paul

Yep. Mandatory gear for anyone on my crew. Glad your ok.

Paul - Good advice no matter how trivial the task seems. Glad you’re okay.

from the eye field side of things, not a bad idea to also let an eye doc take a look at it (unless an ophthalmologist looked while at the ER, which I doubt) because good pops like that can cause a delayed retinal tear or detachment. its normally precautionary but always a good idea.

^^^excellent advice Paul.

I had my share of nasty injuries but never a bloody eye. Hope you are 100% better soon.

Yikes! Pruning our fruit trees is on the short list ths month. Thanks for the heads up and glad to hear you got through this without serious damage.