Tribute to a Special Man - Merrick Dowson

I would imagine anyone in the U.S., has had a bottle or more imported by Merrick Dowson,
This past Friday - April 10, the virus has taken Merrick.
He is originally from England, and has well over 35 years in the industry.
He was a very special man to those who knew him, ADVENTURES IN WINE,imported for
just about every importer, major retailer and distributor west of the Rockies.

He had a depth of integrity to accompany his deep fine wine knowledge.

There was a special twinkle to his charming character.
I teased him endlessly and he took it all in good nature.

After 2 difficult marriages, he finally found love. AT 67 y.o. he finally found the happiness
he had been searching for - just this past year. The irony of mother nature,
he had spent the last weekend with his love, treating himself and her
to a romantic weekend at what he described as “Santa Monica’s most romantic luxury resort”, -
he sounded like he tried to make love all weekend, and called me in the midst to share his joy.
He felt fine with a mild cough and they told him to check into the Kaiser hospital - in No. Cal.

We spoke from his hospital bed and he was fine.
I think there are certain people who are so much a part of what the world is for each of us,
our daily life or any thought or experience we have.

I miss Merrick terribly. I know it is selfish, I’m thinking of only myself, not his kids or girl friend
or employee’s, or family, I just cannot stand the thought of Merrick no longer being there.

Well put William, thank you for your words. Merrick was a wonderful person, great businessman and a colleague I trusted and learned from for many years. I always looked forward to our gatherings and am heartbroken to know he is not with us. Sending good energy to his family and loved ones. Just terrible.

Thanks Man, I’m not that familiar with losing loved ones, (although I’m 71 y.o.) from the few I’ve lost dear to me, I find each one is so entirely different, it is like the difference of the few woman I’ve had the journey to have loved. There is just this affection to my relationship with Merrick that is making it heart breaking for me… I know - how selfish I feel to focus on me.
I’m trying to do everything I can to support Erin, I teased him endlessly, we went to VINEXPO in Bordeaux together.
And stayed with a client who had such a below humble B & B, and one night after the event closed we went looking to find dinner.
We drove for almost 3 hours till we could find parking.
And I let the restaurant pick my dinner and they brought the one dish I hate - eel. For the past 10 years I’d always tease him of the very special restaurant he took me to… on our romantic dinner…
We always went to a S.F. Giants game when I flew in to town…I can’t fill the hole in my life that is there now…

Like when my dad passed it was a sadness that lingered for a few years, but this is different. I’ve lost something I cannot replace.

Thanks for your thoughts…
Aloha
William

lovely tribute. Covid sucks.

Thanks Alan, I really appreciate this.
I don’t know why, but some how your commenting helps ease the pain of the loss.

I don’t know why I’m having such a hard time with this?
Why I remember Merrick so often during the day.
Why I feel I have to - or want to help with the people who are trying to
keep the business alive.

I do not understand why this tugs at my heart so much on most days and
why I miss Merrick so much. I know I’m fortunate because my last exchange we spoke
by telephone and then he wrote a message to me that was the same words as our conversation -

Thank you William. You are a wonderful friend.

Marack