Wines to buy/hold

Good Morning,

I was looking to purchase 12-18 bottles that I could lay down and hold for several years that would age well. Price range $60-$150 with 2-3 in the $3-400 range. Prefer Napa Cabs/Blends (Oakville/Howell Mountain specifically). Did enjoy the Catena Zapata Malbec I had the other day as well… Can add more information as needed.

Thanks!

Currently I am holding the following:

2016 Far Niente Cab
2015 Stags Leap FAY
2015 Opus One
2015 Opus One Overture
2013 Opus One
2013 La Jota Howell Mountain
2016 Caymus Reserve
2016 Caymus 1.5
2015 Emollo Merlot
2015 Catena Zapata

Sojourn Cabernet Sauvignon Home Ranch fills the low $60 category. Good QPR for the price.

Becklyn
EMH
Myriad
Qyivet

+1 and I would add Rivers-Marie and Neal.

Araujo is a good one.

Memento Mori Dr Crane or VHR
La Pelle regular cab and reserve
Abreu if you can get it aftermarket vs at release as it’s over your budget but around $400 resale
Myriad
Carter
Eisele Vineyards
VHR- vine hill ranch
Christopher Tynan
Vangone
Maybach
Backus
Bordeaux (huge list $60 - $175 with two bit over $200) Smith Haut Laffite, Pichon Baron, Vieux Chateau Certan, Troplong Mondotte, Belair Monange, Trotanoy, Canon, Valandraud, domaine de chevalier, Les Carmen Haut Brion, Rauzan Segla

Also excellent Champagne is a great bottle to lay down as they age really well.

Hope that helps

Buy each new vintage of Caymus. The next one always goes up in price. newhere

1 Like

Is your goal to sell them later or is it to drink them? I think they are two very different strategies.

In Howell Mountain, I’ve found Cade Reserve ($220) to get better with age, even in less than ideal vintages. Dunn also ages well and is $140 on release.

I have a few bottles of Moone Tsai Howell Mountain, I think it’s right in your $120-140 range.

Silver Oak and Turnbull wines are also great and on the lower end of your price point. I should be keeping most of these for 5-6 years at least and then seeing where they go from there!

1 Like

I’ll second Turnbull, and you might want to look for Chappellet, Switchback Ridge, Realm and Robert Foley wines from Angwin.

1 Like

If you enjoy modern made Napa Cabernet Turnbull is an excellent choice for Oakville. Their Oakville Reserve is $65 and the SVD and Black Label range from $115-$150. You get an incentive to join the wine club as well. Mondavi Oakville is also a great option for the under $75 price point and Mondavi Reserve from Beckstoffer- To Kalon is an excellent choice coming from one of the most sought after vineyards in Napa. VHR is another solid option and a list you can join quickly.

Howell Mtn:
Dunn
Lamborn
Robert Craig

Anderson Conn Valley and Forman are St Helena appellation but would add them to your list.

Before you go to deep purchase a few 15 or 16 vintage wines from the ones you want to try. Decant them for a few hours and see if you like them.

My top pick for my palate for cellaring is Di Costanzo. Wines range from $55-$115. The Farella vineyard Single Vineyard is from Coombsville so not Oakville or Howell but it’s an outstanding wine. The 2018 release is 2/9. Buy the 16 or 17 Di Co to get a read on their style.

cheers

Joseph Phelps is a great buy-and-hold option

1 Like

Odette
Riverain
Opus One Overture (baby Opus for 1/3 the price)

Red Cap Vineyards

Fred, I like your list of wines a lot! One correction though- Mondavi is NOT from Beckstoffer, but from Mondavi owned To Kalon ( and MacDonald).

1 Like

People already shared a lot of good options here, so I will just share mine: Realm, Accendo, Fait Main, Myriad, Teeter-Totter.

Benoit Touquette Wines! Amazing all around [cheers.gif]

haha, yes. champagne.gif Benoit and Nigel are my favorite wine makers