TTB (U.S. gov't agency) - Has a heart - A valuable tip for other importers

Through out the 25% tariff we continued to order, some slightly more attractive offers from: Bordeaux, Burgundy & Champagne.
The producers and negociants were hurting as well.
We let the wines just sit waiting for the wonderful tariff to go away.
The Election brought a new President who within a month removed the 25% tariff.
And then everyone wanted to ship - causing the logistics nightmare that is still on-going.
That was February /March - 2021.
We gathered up 22 pallets - approximately 13,000 bottles, and the delays began.
We insist on reefer - not available, unless you wait an additional month or 2 or more.
We will only ship by reefer!

Trucks were not so available, containers not so available. months go by and the wines seem to be going on a tour of Europe
and more continents. For several months I began to think is it possible that they actually were hauling it by Outrigger canoes.
August - after 6 months, the wine has passed through the Panama or Suez Canal ? And arrives in N.Y. harbor.

We have all of the paper work except, Chateau Lafite Rothschild has failed to include the document - A regional certificate for the Cognac!
And customs will not clear the 22 pallets - with 9 bottles of that Cognac - without the certificate.
Lafite tells us they have to apply to some Bordeaux gov’t dept and who knows with Halloween coming up - when this will be stamped!

TTB informs our Customs Broker “maybe we’ll just impound the entire shipment”
We are begging and pleading and haranguing Lafite daily. And U.S. customs - “please, just let us enter the shipment and hold on to the Cognac for now
until they send the paper work - please!”

TTB writes back, maybe they’ll impound the entire shipment. We beg our customs broker, “Do something”.

I come up with an idea, “I’ll get you a letter on Lafite stationary that shows they applied with the authorities for the certificate - just keep the bottles or let them through
but please let us pass the 22 pallets on its way.”

And today was the final day as it was to be moved into the category of “held” with all of that entry paper work, fee’s, storage, and heaven knows what else…
And they’ve decided we can pass through, “just don’t sell any Cognac until we can provide the Certificate.”

This was pure heart on the part of the U.S. Gov’t. *******FDA is still pending but you can pick up cargo but can’t deliver or sell until FDA May Proceed *******

1 Like

Ok. I promise I will never complain again when a 6 pack is being held by Fedex overnight!