Is there any other terroir in the world that can produce Riesling as well as the Mosel?

Welcome Dr. Ernst Loosen of Germany's Mosel Valley to Wine Berserkers. He will join us for Q/A as our Special Wine Guest
Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

Is there any other terroir in the world that can produce Riesling as well as the Mosel?

#1 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » March 4th, 2013, 9:35 am

An even better question may be: "Other than terroirs in Germany (and, heck, let's exclude Alsace, too), which terroir do you think has the greatest potential to produce world-class Riesling grapes?"
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

Ernst Loosen

Re: Is there any other terroir in the world that can produce Riesling as well as the Mosel?

#2 Post by Ernst Loosen » March 5th, 2013, 4:58 am

As you may know I am intimately involved in Washington State producing Eroica Riesling as a joint venture together with Chateaux Ste Michelle, and I think the success alone of this region in terms of Riesling may answer this question for me, but in addition to the success I can speak personally to the quality of the grapes going into the wines. Plus there is a diversity from dry to sweet to even the equivalent of a TBA there so it reminds me of Germany in that respect. Of course on a small scale other places in the world can produce world-class Rieslings within their given microclimates and skill of the individual winemaker. As the climate of the world changes this will make things even more complex.

Paul Cunningham

Re: Is there any other terroir in the world that can produce Riesling as well as the Mosel?

#3 Post by Paul Cunningham » March 5th, 2013, 3:07 pm

Dr Loosen, as a follow on question, can you make any comments about Riesling in Oregon?

David_T

#4 Post by David_T » March 6th, 2013, 12:05 am

Speaking personally, I have had two vintages of Eroica and found them (and all Washington rieslings I've had) very good for the price. That being said, the only regions outside of Germany (and I must include Nahe with Mosel) that have cracked my personal 90 point threshold have been the Finger Lakes and Alsace. I can count on one hand the number of OR/Australian rieslings I've had and while both are on my short list of regions to explore more in-depth from a riesling standpoint, overall I feel the Mosel/Nahe produce the most consistent top quality rieslings.
David Tietz

Return to “Special Wine Guests - Dr Ernst Loosen 3/4/13 - 3/9/13”