Sparkling Riesling?

Welcome Dr. Ernst Loosen of Germany's Mosel Valley to Wine Berserkers. He will join us for Q/A as our Special Wine Guest
Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

Sparkling Riesling?

#1 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » March 6th, 2013, 4:51 am

Do you produce a sparkling Riesling? Does anybody produce one in Germany? I ask because I don't recall ever having seen one from Germany (and, actually, I think I've only ever seen one from anywhere).

Any thoughts on this topic, beyond a "yes" or "no" to my initial questions? I think sparkling Riesling could be quite enlightening. [cheers.gif]
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT: grafstrb

scott c
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Sparkling Riesling?

#3 Post by scott c » March 6th, 2013, 6:51 am

Shhhhh!!! Don't tell anyone about this! flirtysmile
c 1 @ f f e e

"By serving the best, never the most, a host compliments both himself and guest, and compensates with additional enjoyment what he wisely limits in number of drinks."
-Julian P. ("Pappy") Van Winkle, Sr.

Henry Kiichli
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Henry Kiichli » March 6th, 2013, 7:03 am

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote: Does anybody produce one in Germany? I ask because I don't recall ever having seen one from Germany (and, actually, I think I've only ever seen one from anywhere). [cheers.gif]

Lots and lots of them over here, and some are very good indeed.
"Police say Henry smelled of alcohol and acknowledged drinking a six-pack of Hamm’s beer with the hogs"

Brent C l a y t o n

#5 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » March 6th, 2013, 7:45 am

‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » March 6th, 2013, 8:19 am

scott c l a f f e e wrote:
$66??? Yikes!
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Christian G.E. Schiller

#7 Post by Christian G.E. Schiller » March 6th, 2013, 8:40 am

There is lots of sparkling Riesling in Germany. In fact, Germany is a huge market for sparklers. One out of four bottles produced in the world is consumed in Germany. http://schiller-wine.blogspot.com/2009/ ... -sekt.html Sekt is made in all German wine regions, both in the méthode traditionnelle and charmat method. There are three groups of Sekt makers: (i) large and (ii) smaller Sekt houses, who only make Sekt and (iii) winemakers, who make predominantly wine, but complement their wine selection by a few Sekts. One of ma favorite Sekt producers, belonging to the third group and available in the US, is Barth http://schiller-wine.blogspot.com/2010/ ... grand.html in Hattenheim.

Ernst Loosen

#8 Post by Ernst Loosen » March 6th, 2013, 10:16 am

Sparkling wines have a long tradition in Germany and before the French-Prussian war (1871) several champagne houses had been founded by German companies, which you often find still in the name like Mumm, Deutz etc. During the French-Prussian a lot of these German companies went back to Germany and founded a German counterpart, often in the Rheingau, like Mumm.
Riesling used to be a good base wine in these days, because Riesling has the right acidity, you need for sparkling wine. We do also a sparkling Riesling. For myself, I produce every year a barrel of single vineyard Riesling sparkling brut, which I keep for 20 years on the yeast. The recent de gorged vintage is 1990, a gorgeous Sekt which we love to serve as an aperitif!

scott c
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by scott c » March 6th, 2013, 12:13 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:
$66??? Yikes!
I'd pay twice that. I'm not kidding. It's that good.
c 1 @ f f e e

"By serving the best, never the most, a host compliments both himself and guest, and compensates with additional enjoyment what he wisely limits in number of drinks."
-Julian P. ("Pappy") Van Winkle, Sr.

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » March 6th, 2013, 1:17 pm

Truly frightening thought...
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Christian G.E. Schiller

#11 Post by Christian G.E. Schiller » March 6th, 2013, 8:04 pm

Yes, Ernst, many of the French Champagne Houses have German roots. I have tried to compile a list of French Chanpagne House with German roots:

http://schiller-wine.blogspot.com/2012/ ... roots.html

Ernst Loosen

#12 Post by Ernst Loosen » March 6th, 2013, 8:29 pm

Sparkling wine has a very long tradition in Germany. Before the French-Prussian war 1871 a lot of champagne houses were founded by Germans. Due to the 1871 war, a lot of these German owners had to return and founded new companies in Germany, often in the Rheingau. Therefore you find the names often twice as for example Mumm/Champagne as Mumm/Germany. Because of the pronounced acidity of the Riesling, this grape variety makes an ideal base wine for sparkling wines. We produce 4 different sparkling wines, a Dr L Riesling sparkling, Dr. Loosen Riesling extra-dry, as a very rare single vineyard with vintage only for our own consumption. We just recently dégorged our 1990 vintage, Graacher Himmelreich Riesling brut, beautiful as an aperitiv! The non Riesling sparkling from us is a Dr. Loosen Pinot Noir rosé, sparkling.

Matcohen

#13 Post by Matcohen » March 21st, 2013, 5:24 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:
$66??? Yikes!
Totally worth it. One of the most interesting sparkling wines I've had.
Mathew Cohen
Fass Selections
ITB

Matcohen

#14 Post by Matcohen » March 21st, 2013, 5:26 pm

Von Buhl also makes excellent sparkling wines - they are less expensive than the Lauer.
Mathew Cohen
Fass Selections
ITB

Return to “Special Wine Guests - Dr Ernst Loosen 3/4/13 - 3/9/13”