Musar Cuvee Rose

The rose, like all the excellent wines of Chateau Musar, is quite distinctive in style. It is certainly darker, more weighty and powerfu and tannic, and far longer aging that other great roses of the world. I had one of my two bottles of 2004 rose a year or two ago, and it was enjoyable but still quite a handful; I’m saving my other bottle for at least a few years off.

Mr. Hochar, could you explain in general terms how the rose is made, what you think makes it so stylistically different from most other roses, and why it is so ageworthy?

Thank you so much for your original and unique contribution to the world of great wine. Musar has always been one of my favorite wines.

P.S. I’d love to see more availability of the rose, and all Musar wines, in the USA!

Dear Chris,

thank you for your posting and getting me to talk about not Chateau Musar Rosé but about the Musar Jeune Rosé.
This Rosé is made out of Cinsault grape quite matured and a skin contact of 36 hours to get the real character of the grape although the color is too pinky red. But in 2004, we had to get to this stage. As depending on the year, skin contact could be 24 to 48 hours. The most important is that this Rosé 2004 is to your liking. However, I hope you’ll have one day our Chateau Musar Rosé in the US. I am sure it will drive you nuts, maybe more than the 1991.
With warmest regards and congratulations for asking Rosine to decant the wine before your arrival.

The '06 Musar Rose is my favorite non-sparkling Rose I’ve ever had.

Interesting, Chris, that you had the 2004. It’s the only Musar Rosé I’ve been able to find. Did you get yours on WineBid by chance? One of my 2 bottles was outstanding. The other, not so much.

I, too, wish the Rosé and all the Musar wines had better US distribution. Even the fine wine stores rarely carry them.

Mr. Hochar,

I read someone’s recount of a tasting dinner with you, and if I recall correctly, you believed the rose should be served last, after the red and the white.

Is that correct? Do you believe it is more suitable to foods that are traditionally paired with red wines, rather than with foods that are more traditionally paired with rose?

Also, the 2004 rose I had was called the Cuvee Rose. Here is a photo of the label:

Have you changed the name of the rose, or do you make multiple bottlings of rose?

Thanks so much for coming on here and educating us more about your wines.

Dear Chris,
Three years ago, we changed the name and the label of the Rosé from Cuvée Rosé to Musar Jeune Rosé but it is the same wine.
About the serving of the Rosé, I do not remember talking about the Rosé as we rarely serve the Musar Jeune range at dinner tasting except on special occasions. Usually, we serve the Chateau Musar Red and White verticals. But to keep it simple, our Cuvée or Musar Jeune Rosé could be drunk before or after the Reds and Whites depending on the food. You should choose what to pair it with, to your taste.