Chateau Musar 2004 (red)

I have not tried this yet, but it is available locally. I know that is pretty young to evaluate Musar, but has anyone had it yet? Mr. Hochar, if you are still participating, do you have any thoughts on that vintage – the weather, the style, the aging curve, or otherwise?

Thanks!

Where did you find this?

I asked about this wine upstream (can’t seem to find the post) because I have a bottle. M Hochar said it was passed its adolescence, and was ready to drink now or for the next 50 years.

Peter, you asked about 1994, not 2004…

Oooops!! Sorry (sheepish grin)

Hi Chris,
Thank you. I hope to continue reading you as you can always get in touch with me. 2004 is almost a classical Chateau Musar but you should remember it is still 9 years of age and even if it is drinking well already, I think the wine will change a lot in the next 6 years as it has a lot to come and this will add to the wine another dimension which I am sure will make it more pleasurable. Time will be the best proof.
Your’s,
Serge

It’s a little late now, but I tried the '04 recently. I found it to be a relatively clean, polished Musar, without sacrificing the typicity of the estate. I think it’s a baby right now, well worth checking in on, but a wine that will greatly reward a few more years in the cellar. It shows so young now that it’s difficult for me to place it qualitatively (an injustice to such a distinctive wine anyway, but I am foolish enough to try), but I think it’s probably going to end up being a very good vintage for Musar, but not one of the greatest. I’ve got a few tucked away and am happy with that decision.