Patricia Green Cellars Berserker Day Offers

I haven’t had the time to get together some good graphics and cool stuff like that to enhance the viewing experience here but I think we have a couple of fun and nifty offers for the Berserker Crowd to consider.

1) New Kid on the Block, 2012 Lia’s Vineyard Pinot Noir: We have been getting this fruit since 2010 but we have progressively moved up the ladder as it were in terms of the quality of the blocks we were able to access. In 2012 we settled into some of the nicer sections of the vineyard (with a further addition and upgrade in 2013). Nonetheless this is a new wine for us. Here is the information on the site and the wine:

Site Characteristics: Lia’s Vineyard is adjacent up the hillside from Olenik Vineyard in the Chehalem Mountain Appellation. In that part of the Chehalem Mountains vineyards lower on the hillside consist of marine sedimentary soils and vineyards higher on the hill are volcanic soils. Lia’s Vineyard straddles that transition with sections of the vineyard toward the bottom being in marine soils and sections toward the top being planted in volcanic soils. The vineyard largely faces west with portions of it rolling off to the south and southwest with the western face being highly exposed and the southern face having some tree cover. We received Pommard planted in 1993 and Dijon 115 planted in 1999, the former in volcanic soil, the latter in the marine.

Wine Making and Notes: We tinkered around with the combinations of the Pommard fermented with 25% whole cluster, the Dijon 115 fermented with 10% whole cluster and a co-fermentation of the two clones that was all destemmed. De-stemmed fruit saw a normal 4-6 day cold soak, 1x/day punch down and pressing before the end of fermentation. Whole cluster fermentations generally saw an extended cold soak of 6-8 days, 1x/day pump-overs until passing the apex of fermentation when they were punched down 1x/day and then allowed to finish fermentation before pressing. The wine was in barrel about 9 months in 10% new oak and a combination of once-five times used barrels. We feel we settled on a mix that brings in the rich elements of the volcanic soil, the minerality of the marine soil and the lift aromatically and structurally from the whole cluster fermentations. At present the red fruit and floral elements dominate the nose and the darker tones reside in the mid-palate and finish of the wine. This walks a nice line between supple femininity and a darker, brooding character. This is a fun and interesting wine that should be able to please across a wide range of palates. 235 cases produced.

We are retailing this wine at $30/bottle.

Our Berserker Day offer is a 6-pack of this wine, with regular ground shipping included, for $130.

2) The AFWE library wine offer. 2012 proved to be our last vintage with Whistling Ridge Vineyard. Whistling Ridge sits in the L created by the intersection of our Estate Vineyard and Beaux Freres’ Estate Vineyard in Ribbon Ridge. We bottled it every year from 2003 to 2010. We have made it a recent habit to sell the library of vineyards we will no longer be getting fruit from as our library is fairly extensive as it is. This is a classic Ribbon Ridge Vineyard in that there is a lot of structure and minerality with underlying darker fruits and quite a bit of acidity.

The AFWE offer is a bottle of Whistling Ridge Vineyard Pinot Noir from the 2005, 2007 and 2008 vintages. Shipping included for $125.

3) The Non-AFWE library wine offer. Well, we made Whistling Ridge Vineyard Pinot in other years as well.

The Non-AFWE offer is a bottle of Whistling Ridge Pinot Noir from the 2004, 2006 and 2009 vintages. Shipping included for $124.

I have tasted all of these wines recently. I have always been a fan of the site but it is a high acid, high tannin site. All the wines are in fine shape and are certainly indicative of the vintages from which they come although I would say that the 2004, 2006 and 2009 are less characteristic of the general impression that folks here have of those vintages. As always that statement comes with a YMMV.

To Order: email: pgcwinery@netzero.com or phone: 503-554-0821

love the AFWE and non-AFWE offers…

And great customer service!

Email sent.

Brought my IPad to work today to keep up in between meetings. I’m in for the AFWE package.

email sent

ditto

email sent