MATCH VINEYARDS - Buy Wholesale (extended thru Thur) and A Long Goodbye (not extended)

For those who don’t want to wait and read the letter, go to Match Vineyards Store and load up your shopping cart. Enter coupon code “Berserker” (without the quotes) to receive wholesale pricing (33% off) your entire order. We pay for ground shipping of orders totaling $500 or more. For smaller orders, we subsidize shipping. We’re a BerserkerBusiness, so if you’re a Berserker Subcriber, you can shop on January 26.

Tasting Notes on CellarTracker.com

Dear Fellow Berserkers,

It’s hard to believe that it has been over 12 years since the first harvest at our Butterdragon Hill vineyard. Since that time, we have received an incredible amount of support and enthusiasm from you, our friends old and new, as we added the Baconbrook vineyard and grew in size and reputation.

Match Vineyards started with a few goals. I wanted to produce world class, single vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon wines – wines every bit as good (or better) than many that had been anointed with cult status by the press and public. Our wines were to be the purest expression of the unique time and place where the grapes were grown. They were to be reasonably priced, spurning the use of “hostage” mailing lists, minimum purchases, or maximum allocations. The business would also ultimately need to operate in the black.

I have succeeded in all of my goals except the last.

I am confident to say that Match Vineyards’ wines are delicious and sophisticated, offering perhaps the best value in single vineyard, Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon available today. Critics and customers have agreed. This simple note cannot adequately express my gratitude to you who have been loyal, even passionate, customers, buying our wines year in and year out. It has been my pleasure and honor to be part of your family’s celebration tables.

I have been lucky to work with a great team led by winemaker Cary Gott and vineyard managers Jim Barbour and the Piña Family. I would also be remiss without mentioning my wife Sasha Match and our son Alec Speckenbach. Whether it was a task as simple as stuffing envelopes or as critical as financial sacrifice, their support has made Match Vineyards possible. They have lent more than their names in the pursuit of my dream.

Hindsight is 20-20 so there are many things I know now that might have helped us be more successful on the business side of the winery. (Perhaps I should now write a book.) I do feel personally at fault that, as a result of my own shortcomings, Match Vineyards is going to be closing its doors.

But first, we have wine that we still need to sell.

The last wines we made were in 2010 vintage but with just a few exceptions, we also have wines from both Butterdragon Hill and Baconbrook vineyards dating back to our earliest vintages. I am offering them to you Berserkers at wholesale price (1/3 off retail). I hope to make it possible for our valued customers to restock their cellars. I also hope some new customers might give our wines a try at this lower price. My promise to them is they won’t be sorry.

Thank you for what has been a fantastic 12 years together in the world of wine.

Randy Sloan
Match Vineyards
(707) 200-3510
Contact Us

Go to Match Vineyards Store and load up your shopping cart. Enter coupon code “Berserker” (without the quotes) to receive wholesale pricing (33% off) your entire order. We pay for ground shipping of orders totaling $500 or more. For smaller orders, we subsidize shipping. We’re a BerserkerBusiness, so if you’re a Berserker Subcriber, you can shop on January 26.

Tasting Notes on CellarTracker.com

PS. I apologize for this rather long goodbye. It may get longer as I assume we won’t sell everything during BerserkerDay. My mailing list will hear from me again.

I had a bad feeling that you were going to say that. It’s been a great run, and you did a great job.

Oh no!!! I need to buy some Match cab before I’m unable to do so! The mag of '07 Butterdragon Hill was spectacular, so I’m in for some more…sorry to hear it, Randy!

Any recommendations on vintages?

I’m saddened by the news Randy. Best wishes to you and your family.

Randy I just had a kick-ass 2004 Butterdragon Hill last night! I am sorry to hear that there will be no more wine in the future, but I can understand the financial responsibilities. I wish you and your family the best in your future endeavors.

Randy - We are so sad to hear this news. Best wishes with everything.

no more Match … frak me.
Good luck Randy in whatever the future may bring!

[cheers.gif]

buy a vertical of the Butterdragon … and the Baconbrook.

[cheers.gif]

Randy, best of luck in your new endeavours. You find yourself in NYC, contact me. We do dinner.

If only I could. I’m looking for a reasonable subset. I’m sad I haven’t been able to patronize Match all along. I hate to see good producers closing up shop. But hopefully grabbing a few bottles of remaining inventory will help in its own way.

I am very sad to hear this news - the 02 Match Butterdragon was one of my favorite cabs of all time, loved it! Best of luck to you, Randy.

So sorry, Randy. I’ve enjoyed all your wines and am happy I’ve got more in the cellar to create more wine memories. Best of luck to you.

A tough decision, Randy, I am sure.

Best of luck moving forward.

Randy, Thanks for the tremendous wines…and wishing you and your family alll the best moving forward!

And thanks for the offer…I gobbled up 14 bottles…love Match.

Sad to read about, as Randy has been with BerserkerDay since probably the first or second one (remember his awesome mag offer, if you donated $100 to the charity of your choice, some years ago?) - let’s support him and let him retire from the wine industry with a bang, as his wines are AWESOME

awesome indeed!

IN

[cheers.gif]

In, for more than I should have. Best to you Randy.

Sorry randy.

I’m in for one mag a three others.

Sad. Love the wines and nice people.