Micro Lot Coffees

Micro-lot coffee has become the new adventure for true coffee lovers. This is a fun journey of specialty micro-lots, i.e. coffee that is produced by its date and origin, because each farm/area has its own terroir.

These farmers live within higher standards than their counterparts at other origins. About ten years ago many farmers started building their own micro mills in order to keep their coffee separate from commercial coffee and sell a superior product.

Here is the beginning of your journey!!

You will receive 2-8oz sealed, one way valve bags of each coffee. We will roast these coffees on Saturday, January 30 and ship on Monday, February 1. These are small production coffees so we are limited in the number of orders we can take.

$78 shipping included for 4# of Micro-lot Coffee. Click this link to place your order.

http://www.thecoffeegrounds.com/fnimall/coffee/coffee.phtml

Ethiopian Adado
Origin Ethiopia
Region Yirgacheffe, Gedeo Zone
Farm Adado Cooperative
Variety Various heirloom Ethiopian varieties
Altitude 2000–2350 masl
Proc. Method Fully Washed
The ancestral tribe surrounding this co-op in the Gedeo Zone of Yirgacheffe is called “Adado,” which is where the co-op gets its name. There are eight mills in the Adado region, with about 7,000 farmers represented. Using natural biological techniques (along with culturally traditional means) to manage disease and pests, this area produces 9,000 tons of Yirgacheffe and 3,000 tons of Sidama washed coffee each year. The area produces 24,000 tons of sun-dried coffee annually.

Mexican Gerardo Froylan
Origin Mexico
Region Mixteca Alta, Yucuhiti, Sierra Mixteca
Farm Gerardo Froylan
Variety Typica, Mundo Novo, Caturra, Bourbon
Altitude 1600 masl

Oaxaca has 16 different indigenous groups, which have preserved their culture and traditions, which is in part due to the rugged and isolated geography of the state. It is also considered one of the three most biologically diverse states in the country of Mexico. This coffee placed at the Best of Oaxaca cupping competition. Coffee from this region was famous years ago for its huge body and powerful acidity—2015 promises to be another great year for the producers of this area.

Colombian Tolima Finca la Esmeralda- Luis Hernando Morales Arias
Origin Colombia
Region Puerto Limón, Gaitania, Planadas, Tolima
Farm La Esmeralda
Variety Caturra
Altitude 1520 masl

From allianceforcoffeeexcellence.org
At 49 years of age, this man born in Bogota took a chance to take part in the Cup of Excellence because he was confident that he had a good-quality coffee. He has always been aware that new knowledge and support by professional staff help the country have a better development.
Luis Hernando has always worked along with his wife, with whom he has two children, who have been raised thanks to the fruits yielded by the coffee plantations of his farm.
Luis and his wife have always been clear about acquiring new skills and being trained to work in the field. Therefore, when possible, they seek ways to attend and take part in such events as Cup of Excellence, in which, according to Luis Hernando, coffee growers can ‘learn about cutting-edge innovations for management of coffee quality.’"

Brazil Domingos Savio Lopes, Sitio Savio, Espirito Santos
Origin Brazil
Region Castelo City, Espirito Santo Mountains Region
Farm Sitio do Sávio
Variety Red Catuaí
Altitude 950 masl
Proc. Method Pulped Natural

The small, coastal state of Espríto Santo is located in the southeast part of Brazil and contains microclimates unlike virtually anywhere else in the country. Brazil’s traditional, natural process is practically impossible here due to the heavy mists and fog that roll across the coffee farms in the mountains. The landscape is lush and green, home to diverse animals and plants, including delicious coffees. The majority of the coffee is here is Red Catuai, growing between 900 and 1200 meters above sea level on farms averaging about 10 hectares each.

E-mail ericn@thecoffeegrounds.com with any questions.

Eric, anything that you can tell us about your roasting methods, the roast applied to each lot offered, or the flavor profile of the lots?

Thanks.

yes, please tell us more about the roast. If I like Coava, Victrola, Sightglass, will I like yours?

I really enjoyed all mine from last year

Eric had an earlier time slot last year (as I didn’t choose time slots based on registration date like this year) so it was more apropos to the timing, as I sure as hell needed coffee early this am! (now I’ve switched to BerserkerDay wine, as it’s 5:00 somewhere in Europe…probably)

Sorry I was offline all of yesterday and couldn’t get to the questions.

We roast all of our micro lots to a city/city+ roast. No need to burn the good stuff!!

Just ordered again…Very pleased with last year’s offering and I hope to buy more throughout this year.

Cheers!
Marshall

Hey Marshall…here’s the coffee…

Thanks to all the repeat orders from last year!!!

Our technology is improving…slowly…so that we’ll be able to offer these great coffees on a regular basis for everyone.

Thanks. Even though the idea of shipping roasted coffee beans to Seattle seems counterintuitive, I’m in and bought a pack!

Somewhat like shipping milk to Wisconsin I guess!!!

Wasn’t planning on buying coffee, but…

Paul,
I was really impressed with this offering last year. I found 3 of the 4 coffees to be stellar. One just wasn’t my style. I also liked the fact that they were two 8oz bags sealed.

I gifted half of last years offer to a friend who is a gigantic coffee snob and former account manager for Seattle’s Best. I also gave some to another friend who roasts his own, has every minuscule brewing angle covered for the best coffee.

Both were very impressed.

Eric is a good guy, too. If you are ever in Eau Claire, his store would make for a great stop. http://www.thecoffeegrounds.com/

Coffee Coffee for me!!!

in

Chris

Thanks for the nice review and it was good to meet you. It’s always nice to shake a customer’s hand who I have only known via e-mail. [thumbs-up.gif]

Eric

In!

I have family in that general side of Wisconsin. Mental note to self!
In for the second year.

Would these beans be good for espresso shots?