Halcon Offer - Rhones and Pinot

Our sixth Berserkers Day offering. Thank you for all the support over the last six years! This time a horizontal of magnums and a number of samplers:

1. We are offering a four-pack sampler of 2014 wines – one bottle each Esquisto Mourvedre/Grenache, Alturas Syrah, Wentzel Pinot Noir and Oppenlander Pinot Noir. This sampler is $120 + $12 shipping anywhere in the US (delivery free in Bay Area) + sales tax where applicable.

2. An all-Pinot four-pack - two 2014 Wentzel and two 2014 Oppenlander - is $130 + $12 shipping anywhere in the US (delivery free in Bay Area) + sales tax where applicable.

3. All-Rhone four-pack - two 2014 Esquisto and two 2014 Alturas - is $110 + $12 shipping anywhere in the US (delivery free in Bay Area) + sales tax where applicable.

4. You can also buy a mixed case of 2014 wines for $330 (plus $21 shipping to AZ, CA, CO, NM, NV, OR, WA, $30 to the rest of the US, Bay Area free. Again, sales tax where applicable). The mixed case is three of each of the four wines.

5. We also have a dozen sets of 2014 magnums available - one each of Alturas, Esquisto, Oppenlander and Wentzel. $230 each plus $24 shipping anywhere in the US (again Bay Area free delivery) and sales tax where applicable. Limit one set per person.

Email us your order to info@halconvineyards.com (please include a number where we can reach you for credit card details). Please give us a couple of hours to respond. We will allocate the magnum sets based on the first emails received.

Below is some info on the wines plus reviews for reference:

2014 Esquisto
The estate Halcón Grenache and Mourvedre were picked October 11th. When considering the early budbreak and flowering, this gave us the longest hang-time ever for these varietals. The drought conditions resulted in very small, thickly skinned berries and low cluster weights. The 2014 Esquisto is a co-ferment of two thirds Grenache and one third Mourvedre, and then we blended in 5% Syrah prior to bottling. For the first time we included 30% whole-cluster. As for all previous vintages, we utilized neutral 500L French oak puncheons for aging and native (feral) yeasts. 235 cases bottled unfined, unfiltered.
Tasted as a barrel sample, the 2014 Esquisto is a more Grenache-dominated blend that checks in as two-thirds Grenache and one-third Mourvedre. It’s a stepup over the 2013 and offers beautiful kirsch and black raspberry fruits, spice-box, licorice and chalky minerality in a full-bodied, voluptuous and textured personality. Staying fresh and lively, it has a great mid-palate, tons of sweet fruit and a clean, focused finish. It should drink nicely on release and have 10-12 years of longevity. (Wine Advocate, Aug 2015) 92-94pts

2014 Alturas
The 2014 Halcón Alturas is a blend of estate Syrah with just a little co-fermented Viognier. Predominately the Chave clone, there is also a little own-rooted Estrella River and Tablas Creek selection. Like the 2013 Alturas we included 35% whole-cluster. Again we utilized just under 20% new French oak, Ermitage, 500L puncheons.
This wine resembles a blend of the previous two vintages – there are the stronger acids and minerality of 2012 allied with the meaty, garrigue qualities of the 2013. The finished alcohol is 13.3%.
Tasted as a barrel sample, the 2014 Syrah Alturas is a ripe, voluptuous 2014 that has lots of chalky minerality in its black raspberry, cassis, licorice and toasted-spice bouquet. Almost with an Hermitage-like graphite and minerality on the nose, it’s relatively soft and plush on the palate, with plenty of baby fat sitting on a firm core of tannin. It will be interesting to see how this comes together once in bottle, and while I think it will be a candidate for short-term cellaring, it should be accessible at a relatively early age. (Wine Advocate, Aug 2015) 91-93pts

2014 Wentzel Pinot Noir
Wentzel vineyard sits 400ft above the Anderson Valley floor in Philo. The fruit came from a steep hillside planting, which faces north-west, catching the full force of the ocean influence. This vineyard is organic and meticulously farmed. The fruit from our block was previously utilized by Copain.
This wine is a blend of Dijon clones. Native fermentation and no adjustment for acids or alcohol. 35% whole-cluster and aged in 20% new French oak in the form of a single Francois Frères puncheon. Bottled unfined, unfiltered. 13.1% alc.

2014 Oppenlander Pinot Noir
The Oppenlander vineyard is located west of Comptche, just ten miles east of the town of Mendocino. This is one of the very coolest vineyards in California. The vineyard is planted on a gentle south facing slope, which aids ripening. The very low vigor soils are of moderate depth but with enough clay to facilitate dry-framing. The cluster and berry sizes at Oppenlander are the smallest I have ever seen! The fruit for the Halcón Oppenlander Pinot Noir was picked October 1st. Given the early start to the growing season, this late harvest date is testament to the truly cool climate of this vineyard. A blend of two thirds Pommard clone and one third Dijon clone 115. There was no inoculation for primary or secondary fermentation, and no adjustment for acids or alcohol. We utilized 35% whole-cluster fermentation and aged in 20% new French oak. 165 cases bottled unfined, unfiltered. 13.3% alc.
Coming from the northern edge of California, the 2014 Pinot Noir Oppenlander was harvested October 1 and saw 30% whole clusters and 25% new French oak. it has a deeper ruby color to go with classic Pinot Noir notes of black cherries, forest floor, violets and incense. Medium-bodied, supple, elegant and beautifully textured, it has good acidity and some chewy, rustic tannin on the finish. It should be relatively approachable on release, yet benefit from short term cellaring and have 8-10 years of longevity. It’s a rock-solid Pinot Noir. (Wine Advocate, Aug 2015) 89-92pts

6-time BerserkerDay veteran Paul with a HUGE array of offers!!!

This stuff is legit! I have quite a few bottles in the cellar already, but I’d be in otherwise.

Any advice here to a newcomer to these wines? I have seen the Halcon Alturas Syrah locally but yet to give it a whirl. Familiar with the Wentzel Vineyard but not a lot of experience. This looks like a great offer as well!

Like Kyle, I have quite a few bottles or I’d be in for this deal. The Esquisto and Alturas are favorites.

Nick, the wines are all terrific, and great values from a price perspective - even more exceptional with the discounts offered today.

Here are some notes I posted last March on barrel samples of the 14s:

Sent an email for a Rhone pack. I just realized that I have a few of the 2012 Alturas in my cellar but haven’t tried it yet. I’ll have to remedy that soon!

Buy them all. Fantastic wines, and a screaming bargain!

Wow, surprised this offer hasn’t gotten more love! This is usually a BD favorite. All of Paul’s wines are fantastic and great values, the Alturas is honestly the only wine I buy a full case of every year. I sadly am not partaking in this offer… because Halcon’s most recent prerelease ended yesterday and I bought my annual case then (plus a couple of the pinots) thus excluding it from the BD tally if I’m asked to report it to my better half [berserker.gif]

You answered your own question. Many of us purchased the pre-release.

E-mail sent for a “All-Rhone four-pack.” Thanks.

I’m in, hopefully it’s not too late!

Not too late. We will keep offer open thru end of the week

I’ve got everything here except the 2014 Alturas, which I suspect I’ll be getting in a group order with Ron. For those who haven’t jumped in yet, Paul’s wines are well worth it!