Eating and Drinking in San Francisco

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
G. Greenbaum

Re: Eating and Drinking in San Francisco

#251 Post by G. Greenbaum »

Todd F r e n c h wrote: May 26th, 2021, 7:12 pm
G. Greenbaum wrote: May 26th, 2021, 5:46 pm Huge mistake not going to the Bird. Could be the best restaurant in CA I’ve been to.
Not my choice, Gregg - not my birthday meal, it's hers.
I get it. Hope you enjoy SF.
Regards,
Gregg

ITB

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#252 Post by Todd F r e n c h »

Happy to report that Waterbar far exceeded expectations for us both. I had the Ling cod which was paired with a potato stuffed artichoke over white beans, with green tomatoes, and was excellent. Jen ordered the whole oak-grilled petrole sole over fava beans, and a side of house made cappelini with lemon and bacon, it was just fantastic. I was floored by how well these soft legumes pair with fish, so I definitely want to experiment a bit on that. Amazing service, as well.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#253 Post by Barry L i p t o n »

G. Greenbaum wrote: May 26th, 2021, 5:46 pm Huge mistake not going to the Bird. Could be the best restaurant in CA I’ve been to.
Not everyone agrees, not in my top 5 in SF even (although this was all prepandemic).

It's good for sure, but after 3 times, I don't bother trying to get the tough reservation. Part of it is the format, I don't find the dim sum approach relaxing. Some things were great, not everything.
Last edited by Barry L i p t o n on May 31st, 2021, 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Al Osterheld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#254 Post by Al Osterheld »

Glad it worked out well for both of you, Todd.

-Al

Robert Dentice
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#255 Post by Robert Dentice »

Barry L i p t o n wrote: May 31st, 2021, 10:52 am
Not everyone agrees, not in my top 5 in SF even (although this was all prepandemic).

It's good for sure, but after 3 times, I don't bother trying to get the tough reservation. Part of it is the format, I don't find the dim sum approach relaxing. Some things were great, not everything.
What would your pre-pandemic top 5 be?
https://sourcematerialwine.com

ITB - source | material

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#256 Post by Barry L i p t o n »

Not a formal top 5 as I can be modify, but the top 2 are definite.
Boulevard is my favorite. Perfect for how I eat (too pedestrian for many on this board). Been a zillion times.
Quince for the fancy meal.
Dosa for Indian casual
Campton Place for hi end Indian-ish food.
Kihn Kao for the best Thai food I’ve had outside Bangkok.

Only went once, loved Angler but that’s more of a baller place ( as in prices that make you blink twice), I’m rarely one.

Perbacco fell out a few years ago due to inconsistency but when they are on, they are great.

Hakkassan might be my favorite lunch.

At the other price end, I always try and get a Banh Mi at Saigon sandwhich, perfect for going to the Asian Art museum afterwards.

I don’t get a good cross section because my SF pals are mostly cheap , I have more game company in NY. Want to try the Progress as State Bird food in a different format would be of interest.

Robert Dentice
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#257 Post by Robert Dentice »

Barry L i p t o n wrote: June 1st, 2021, 8:54 am Not a formal top 5 as I can be modify, but the top 2 are definite.
Boulevard is my favorite. Perfect for how I eat (too pedestrian for many on this board). Been a zillion times.
Dosa for Indian casual

Only went once, loved Angler but that’s more of a baller place ( as in prices that make you blink twice), I’m rarely one.

Perbacco fell out a few years ago due to inconsistency but when they are on, they are great.

At the other price end, I always try and get a Banh Mi at Saigon sandwhich, perfect for going to the Asian Art museum afterwards.

I don’t get a good cross section because my SF pals are mostly cheap , I have more game company in NY. Want to try the Progress as State Bird food in a different format would be of interest.
Thanks. Very interesting. It would be hard for me to put together a top 5 list for San Fran these days because I love State Bird so much I just keep going back. My last two non State Bird meals were Angler and like Saison I just did not feel it and wished I had gone to State Bird. I felt the same after Mister Jiu's. My other favorites are/were Le Ciccia, Atelier Crenn and Commonwealth (RIP).

Not trying to convince you otherwise on State Bird but if the pace is not to your liking you can ask them to slow it down and/or routinely pass on the cart food. Also give their new place The Anchovy Bar a try if the menu looks appealing.

ITB - source | material

Al Osterheld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#258 Post by Al Osterheld »

One note on Angler, they cook some things over wood fires so you might not want to wear fancy clothes since they will definitely smell like smoke.

-Al

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#259 Post by Barry L i p t o n »

Robert Dentice wrote: June 1st, 2021, 9:42 am
Barry L i p t o n wrote: June 1st, 2021, 8:54 am Not a formal top 5 as I can be modify, but the top 2 are definite.
Dosa for Indian casual

Thanks. Very interesting. It would be hard for me to put together a top 5 list for San Fran these days because I love State Bird so much I just keep going back. My last two non State Bird meals were Angler and like Saison I just did not feel it and wished I had gone to State Bird. I felt the same after Mister Jiu's. My other favorites are/were Le Ciccia, Atelier Crenn and Commonwealth (RIP).

Not trying to convince you otherwise on State Bird but if the pace is not to your liking you can ask them to slow it down and/or routinely pass on the cart food. Also give their new place The Anchovy Bar a try if the menu looks appealing.

Le Ciccia is fun, used to go often when I lived up there, but menu didn't change that much and, like Delfina, didn't find it worth the Uber schlep from where I was staying in my hotel. I'd probably choose Cotogna over Le Ciccia but can't argue with Le Ciccia. I'm sure I'll go to State Bird again as one of my "less expensive minded" buddies doesn't think it's expensive. But would rather eat at Boulevard twice.

Undertand about Saison, went twice, loved it the first time (in the old place), then the $$$ went through the roof, luxury ingredients, more of a show, and I never thought it would happen but the meal suffered from too much Unami.

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#260 Post by Barry L i p t o n »

Slow opening, thought there might be more open post 6-15 than I’ve found.

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#261 Post by Barry L i p t o n »

Roundup from my week in SF
New discoveries
Nari
- high end Thai, best I’ve had in the US.From Pim Techamuanvivit (of Khin Kao in SF (temp closed) and Nahm in Bangkok (all 3 with Michelin stars).

https://guide.michelin.com/en/article/p ... d-kin-khao

Tailors Son
Very fun Northern Italian, vegetable focused but still with very interesting other options. The rabbit rotolo was fabulous (but richer than it needed to be). Highly recommended)

Return visits
Rooh - those that didn’t get the lamb thought it was awesome. The two who got the lamb said it didn’t compare with my Pakistani friend’s lamb (in terms of spicing). But the spicing in the usual accompaniments was really unique, octopus tandoori and monkfish curry excellent.

Kokkari
Fabulous (for what it is , high end Greek food, simply prepared and delicious) and pricey. Very large, amazing that the food is so consistent. But ingredient driven simply prepared food can be scaled.

State Bird provisions
Repeat visits have enabled me to learn what I like (all the veg and fish) and what to avoid (pancakes to my taste). Much prefer the a la carte approach. Somehow, after asking the differences in the state biand cover bird, and getting a lengthy reply, found out one was fried and the other wasn’t after I got the fried one (on the waiters recommendation). My fault not to ask specifically.

Perbacco
Fabulous pasta, went for lunch twice. (I am very hard to please with pasta). They know al dente, and the choices are not your usual. (I did have to ask for a redo because one was a couple minutes past al dente).

Robert Dentice
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#262 Post by Robert Dentice »

Barry L i p t o n wrote: July 25th, 2021, 8:12 am Roundup from my week in SF
New discoveries
Nari
- high end Thai, best I’ve had in the US.From Pim Techamuanvivit (of Khin Kao in SF (temp closed) and Nahm in Bangkok (all 3 with Michelin stars).

Tailors Son
Very fun Northern Italian, vegetable focused but still with very interesting other options. The rabbit rotolo was fabulous (but richer than it needed to be). Highly recommended)

Return visits
Rooh - those that didn’t get the lamb thought it was awesome. The two who got the lamb said it didn’t compare with my Pakistani friend’s lamb (in terms of spicing). But the spicing in the usual accompaniments was really unique, octopus tandoori and monkfish curry excellent.

Kokkari
Fabulous (for what it is , high end Greek food, simply prepared and delicious) and pricey. Very large, amazing that the food is so consistent. But ingredient driven simply prepared food can be scaled.

State Bird provisions
Repeat visits have enabled me to learn what I like (all the veg and fish) and what to avoid (pancakes to my taste). Much prefer the a la carte approach. Somehow, after asking the differences in the state biand cover bird, and getting a lengthy reply, found out one was fried and the other wasn’t after I got the fried one (on the waiters recommendation). My fault not to ask specifically.

Perbacco
Fabulous pasta, went for lunch twice. (I am very hard to please with pasta). They know al dente, and the choices are not your usual. (I did have to ask for a redo because one was a couple minutes past al dente).
Nari - how hard is it to get a reservation? So far Ugly Baby is the best Thai I have had in the U.S.

State Bird - The fried one is their signature dish and has been on the menu since the beginning. The cover bird change every month.

Thanks for the write up.

ITB - source | material

Yao C

#263 Post by Yao C »

Robert Dentice wrote: July 26th, 2021, 9:53 am Nari - how hard is it to get a reservation? So far Ugly Baby is the best Thai I have had in the U.S.
I was there a few weeks ago; it's not so difficult with a bit of advance planning. I prefer Nari to Nahm in Bangkok

Have a State Bird reservation late-Aug. Has been good, not great, for me in the past so I have high hopes given all the recent praise
Dosa for Indian casual

Hakkasan is dead, a casualty of the pandemic. Dosa (at least in the Mission) is also dead

I am anxiously awaiting the reopening of Boulevard and Quince. Last time I was at Cotogna I grilled the staff about it but they seemed very much in the dark about when

Agree that Saigon Sandwich is amazing. Also worth trying Hai Ky Mi Gia around the corner, which is competitive with the best noodle places I know in Asia

My top 5 (rough order): Benu, Lazy Bear, Al's Place, The Morris, Rich Table
Honorable mentions: flour+water, Gary Danko, Izakaya Sozai, Kusakabe, Quince
C . h . 0 . o . n . 6

Robert Dentice
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#264 Post by Robert Dentice »

Does anyone know if you can eat at the Bar at Nari without a resy. Apologies I can call them but they are closed until Wed. and I am going to be in town this week and was wondering.

Maybe I will just call and say I am Kanye West.

https://sf.eater.com/2021/7/2/22560822/ ... amuanvivit

ITB - source | material

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#265 Post by Barry L i p t o n »

It’s hard for less than a week in advance. Try calling (they are closed Monday and Tuesday)

Noah Dorrance
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

Re: Eating and Drinking in San Francisco 2016

#266 Post by Noah Dorrance »

Joe Chanley wrote: June 27th, 2016, 12:00 pm in SF for the night unexpectedly.....where would you recommend for sushi (either last minute reservation or easy enough for walk-in party of 2)? was thinking ichi or ozumo. akiko's looks booked....
Slightly off the sushi idea but if you want to try what it certainly one of the best new spots in SF, with plenty of fish both raw and cured, try Anchovy Bar. From the chef/owners of Progress and State Bird restaurants. It is amazing.
Proprietor/Winemaker @ Reeve Wines and BloodRoot
"It ain't what you got, it's what you make." Shovels and Rope

Mike Wenzel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#267 Post by Mike Wenzel »

Barry L i p t o n wrote: July 25th, 2021, 8:12 am Roundup from my week in SF
New discoveries
Nari

Tailors Son

Return visits

Kokkari

State Bird provisions

Perbacco
Nari is good but I have not been since shortly after the opening. Visited State Bird about two weeks ago for the first time in a long while and most things were great. Not a fan of any of the birds however and never have been. Remains one of my all time favorite SF restaurants.

Robert Dentice
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#268 Post by Robert Dentice »

Went to Anchovy Bar and State Bird both stunning as always. An off menu dish of various fish collars and stomach was slightly more charred than usual and it was outstanding!

Going back to State Bird tonight.

ITB - source | material

G. Keeler

#269 Post by G. Keeler »

We were at State Bird last night. I first went maybe a few months after they opened and haven’t been back since. Although I have been to Progress a few times more recently. The food was as I remembered which was fun and creative. We enjoyed everything except for one dish and the service was warm and helpful. Nothing really stood out though and felt we had a few more wows at the Progress last time. I would probably go back to Progress before State Bird next time I’m in town.
G L E N N

Robert Dentice
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#270 Post by Robert Dentice »

G. Keeler wrote: July 31st, 2021, 7:14 am We were at State Bird last night. I first went maybe a few months after they opened and haven’t been back since. Although I have been to Progress a few times more recently. The food was as I remembered which was fun and creative. We enjoyed everything except for one dish and the service was warm and helpful. Nothing really stood out though and felt we had a few more wows at the Progress last time. I would probably go back to Progress before State Bird next time I’m in town.
I was there as well! 2nd night in a row. Going to The Anchovy Bar tonight.

ITB - source | material

m. ristev

#271 Post by m. ristev »

Robert Dentice wrote: July 30th, 2021, 3:06 pm Went to Anchovy Bar and State Bird both stunning as always. An off menu dish of various fish collars and stomach was slightly more charred than usual and it was outstanding!

what's the vibe like around town these days? thinking of making a trip in that direction...
mајкл

Robert Dentice
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#272 Post by Robert Dentice »

m. ristev wrote: August 1st, 2021, 1:02 pm
Robert Dentice wrote: July 30th, 2021, 3:06 pm Went to Anchovy Bar and State Bird both stunning as always. An off menu dish of various fish collars and stomach was slightly more charred than usual and it was outstanding!

what's the vibe like around town these days? thinking of making a trip in that direction...
Definitely alive but less so than other places in the U.S. In the last week I have been in NYC, Raleigh-Durham, Tampa, Oakland, Cupertino and San Francisco. San Francisco has the most people by far who are wearing masks and are ultra cautious about COVID. It is fascinating many of the stores around Union Square have armed guards in front and some are still boarded up. Yet SF is still much more open than it has been.

ITB - source | material

m. ristev

#273 Post by m. ristev »

Robert Dentice wrote: August 1st, 2021, 4:34 pm

Definitely alive but less so than other places in the U.S. In the last week I have been in NYC, Raleigh-Durham, Tampa, Oakland, Cupertino and San Francisco. San Francisco has the most people by far who are wearing masks and are ultra cautious about COVID. It is fascinating many of the stores around Union Square have armed guards in front and some are still boarded up. Yet SF is still much more open than it has been.
thanks for the insight. that is what i figured, almost went last week but decided to hold off after doing some research. any plans to hit wine country?
mајкл

Robert Dentice
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#274 Post by Robert Dentice »

m. ristev wrote: August 1st, 2021, 4:56 pm
Robert Dentice wrote: August 1st, 2021, 4:34 pm

thanks for the insight. that is what i figured, almost went last week but decided to hold off after doing some research. any plans to hit wine country?
Back in NYC, was in Napa in April and it was booming! 30+ minutes to get an Uber.

ITB - source | material

KenL.

#275 Post by KenL. »

Indoor mask mask mandate starts at midnight tonight. You will only be able to take your mask off inside restaurants while eating.
Lobel

Jeff Twersky

#276 Post by Jeff Twersky »

Had a great meal at Nari. Highly recommend it.

Most of my meals were with my daughter, who eats vegan. Had an excellent vegan sushi meal at Shinzen. Wildseed was also very good.

Also had a very good meal at Mandarin Islamic, and grabbed lunch to go at Pineapple King Bakery. The mango bun, in particular, was heavenly.

G. Keeler

#277 Post by G. Keeler »

G. Keeler wrote: July 31st, 2021, 7:14 am We were at State Bird last night. I first went maybe a few months after they opened and haven’t been back since. Although I have been to Progress a few times more recently. The food was as I remembered which was fun and creative. We enjoyed everything except for one dish and the service was warm and helpful. Nothing really stood out though and felt we had a few more wows at the Progress last time. I would probably go back to Progress before State Bird next time I’m in town.
Just coming back to recap our trip. We also had lunch at Cotogna which continues to be great. Fresh pasta, pizza and other items coming out of the open fire are always great.

For dinner the second night we went to Akiko’s and I can’t say enough good things about our dinner. Probably our 5th time here and it keeps getting better. Each course of the omakase menu was so well executed but a few highlights was their take on Chawanmushi with lobster, duck liver and summer truffles and the grilled eel was also fantastic. All of the nigiri were spot on as well. Fun and well chosen sake list adds to the experience. One of my favorite restaurants in the states full stop.

Great to be back in the city for the first time in 2 years after averaging 2-4 visits a year for the past 10 years. The city is kind of a mess through and it was sad walking around and not seeing many people and the homeless problem is really out of control. Not sure how things will evolve there but hoping our favorite restaurants can continue to thrive.
G L E N N

Alex N

#278 Post by Alex N »

I stopped at Swan Oyster Depot on the way home last weekend. I was solo and there must have been 30 people in line. Someone yelled "Anyone else by themself?", I raised my hand, boom - bar seat with no wait. I felt a little bad leaving about an hour later and seeing the same people waiting, so tip for next time, go solo. Had 5 kinds of oysters and some crab, a few misc treats handed over by the staff, and really appreciated their chowder isn't thick wall spackle. I've got to say their friendliness and service was the best part and that type of minimally prepared seafood with simple white wine or bubbles is my favorite food to eat.
@13x N1ch•!z

Yao C

#279 Post by Yao C »

Harbor House in Mendocino was just elevated to 2* and they absolutely deserve it. IMO they are on a similar level to Single Thread and the setting is just breathtaking on top of everything else
Agree. I went to State Bird a few weeks ago and everything was solid, but there wasn't much that was exciting. Won't be coming back soon
G. Keeler wrote: August 25th, 2021, 5:36 pm For dinner the second night we went to Akiko’s and I can’t say enough good things about our dinner.
Akiko's is a recent discovery for us and we had an amazing experience as well! I think it's an injustice they don't have a star
C . h . 0 . o . n . 6

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”