New York City Restaurants

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Mich@el Ch@ng
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2851 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng »

hm pete wells seemed to like hawksmoor, anyone been there?

Sh@n A

#2852 Post by Sh@n A »

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote: December 22nd, 2021, 10:50 am hm pete wells seemed to like hawksmoor, anyone been there?
Pacing on bringing out entrees can be a little slow (40 minute wait), so you have to pace your drinks while waiting for them or you may overly imbibe. I liked the lamb appetizer a bit. The cook on the entrees was perfect, but I'm not convinced on the charcoal for the steak (versus the lamb, which I thought was phenomenal). Their fries are basically jumbo McDonald fries. Very corkage friendly.
/ @ g r @ \

Mich@el Ch@ng
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2853 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng »

Sh@n A wrote: December 22nd, 2021, 11:28 am
Mich@el Ch@ng wrote: December 22nd, 2021, 10:50 am hm pete wells seemed to like hawksmoor, anyone been there?
Pacing on bringing out entrees can be a little slow (40 minute wait), so you have to pace your drinks while waiting for them or you may overly imbibe. I liked the lamb appetizer a bit. The cook on the entrees was perfect, but I'm not convinced on the charcoal for the steak (versus the lamb, which I thought was phenomenal). Their fries are basically jumbo McDonald fries. Very corkage friendly.
charcoal with grass fed steaks is certainly a choice... i do like sauces with steak so...

jprusack

#2854 Post by jprusack »

they never opened on mondays for $10 corkage...guess thats a sign of the times with a lack of staff.

i havent been but it seems popular judging by the availability of tables on opentable. im less interested from a culinary perspective but will gladly try if and when they do the corkage mondays. im sure its solid.
J e a n - p i e r r e

Steve L Gellman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2855 Post by Steve L Gellman »

Eating out tomorrow in NYC for the first time in over 2 years😯

ybarselah

#2856 Post by ybarselah »

Steve L Gellman wrote: January 3rd, 2022, 7:46 am Eating out tomorrow in NYC for the first time in over 2 years😯
good luck - you'll need it.
Yaacov (ITB)

Steve L Gellman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2857 Post by Steve L Gellman »

ybarselah wrote: January 3rd, 2022, 8:07 am
Steve L Gellman wrote: January 3rd, 2022, 7:46 am Eating out tomorrow in NYC for the first time in over 2 years😯
Thanks, very nervous

jprusack

#2858 Post by jprusack »

such a weird depressing vibe across the city today. post holiday, its always a bit bleak but with the weather and the covid positives, its ultra quiet here in the village.

imagine it must be an easy time scoring hard to snag tables.
J e a n - p i e r r e

Robert Dentice
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#2859 Post by Robert Dentice »

jprusack wrote: January 3rd, 2022, 10:37 am such a weird depressing vibe across the city today. post holiday, its always a bit bleak but with the weather and the covid positives, its ultra quiet here in the village.

imagine it must be an easy time scoring hard to snag tables.
Had a nice quiet meal at Cervos last evening. Only 1/2 - 2/3rds full. They now take reservations for a small part of the restaurant.
https://sourcematerialwine.com

ITB - source | material

Scott Rutkay
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2860 Post by Scott Rutkay »

Had lunch at the Red Hook Tavern on Sunday. They have recently put into place a lunch menu - which is highly abbreviated. That was a shame, as I really love their french onion soup. That wasnt on the menu this afternoon. I probably should have looked at the site, they now publish a lunch menu, it lists the soup but it wasn't offered yesterday.
No matter. Lunch was the Country Ham Croquettes which are always very good along with their version of a wedge salad. The salad had grown tremendously since my last visit as has the slab of Nueske's bacon laid on top. Youll want to have that as a main, or share it as I did. It was was very tasty.
I shared the burger, which was a little disappointing since last visit. All of the juices immediately ran out as I cut it, making the last couple of bites pretty dry. The bun was as always, excellent, as was the pickle. Based on this one, I would not rate it among the top burgers in the city - but hopefully it was just an off day.
We tasted the orange wine, Spaceboy Pinot Gris 2020, not for me to be honest, and settled on the Rose, Cuvée Tradition 2019. The Rose was exactly what we wanted to cut through the burger.
All in all, I would prefer to go back for dinner - to have a chance at the full menu.

Dan Hammer
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2861 Post by Dan Hammer »

When you say Eating out, do you really mean eating in?
This space for rent.

Steve L Gellman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2862 Post by Steve L Gellman »

Dan Hammer wrote: January 3rd, 2022, 11:26 am
Yes, but we’ve postponed the dinner

Tom G l a s g o w
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2863 Post by Tom G l a s g o w »

Steve L Gellman wrote: January 3rd, 2022, 12:51 pm
Only 5 hours to come to your senses. Let’s hope it’s ok in a couple of weeks.

jprusack

#2864 Post by jprusack »

Scott Rutkay wrote: January 3rd, 2022, 11:17 am Had lunch at the Red Hook Tavern on Sunday. They have recently put into place a lunch menu - which is highly abbreviated. That was a shame, as I really love their french onion soup. That wasnt on the menu this afternoon. I probably should have looked at the site, they now publish a lunch menu, it lists the soup but it wasn't offered yesterday.
No matter. Lunch was the Country Ham Croquettes which are always very good along with their version of a wedge salad. The salad had grown tremendously since my last visit as has the slab of Nueske's bacon laid on top. Youll want to have that as a main, or share it as I did. It was was very tasty.
I shared the burger, which was a little disappointing since last visit. All of the juices immediately ran out as I cut it, making the last couple of bites pretty dry. The bun was as always, excellent, as was the pickle. Based on this one, I would not rate it among the top burgers in the city - but hopefully it was just an off day.
We tasted the orange wine, Spaceboy Pinot Gris 2020, not for me to be honest, and settled on the Rose, Cuvée Tradition 2019. The Rose was exactly what we wanted to cut through the burger.
All in all, I would prefer to go back for dinner - to have a chance at the full menu.
weird experience here last year. we ate outside. judging from all the top bottles on their instagram, i figured theyd be okay with bringing a bottle of 2002 bonnes mares to drink for my anniversary. not a chance. the only people who can bring outside wine are the owner (fair) and his friends (less cool).

delicious burger and pretty good food but my experience (outdoors plus the wine situation) makes me in no rush to return. i get not allowing outside wine. my issue is they show tons of wine not on the menu...for others to consume.
J e a n - p i e r r e

Victor Hong

#2865 Post by Victor Hong »

jprusack wrote: January 3rd, 2022, 4:13 pm
Scott Rutkay wrote: January 3rd, 2022, 11:17 am Had lunch at the Red Hook Tavern on Sunday. They have recently put into place a lunch menu - which is highly abbreviated. That was a shame, as I really love their french onion soup. That wasnt on the menu this afternoon. I probably should have looked at the site, they now publish a lunch menu, it lists the soup but it wasn't offered yesterday.
weird experience here last year. we ate outside. judging from all the top bottles on their instagram, i figured theyd be okay with bringing a bottle of 2002 bonnes mares to drink for my anniversary. not a chance. the only people who can bring outside wine are the owner (fair) and his friends (less cool).

delicious burger and pretty good food but my experience (outdoors plus the wine situation) makes me in no rush to return. i get not allowing outside wine. my issue is they show tons of wine not on the menu...for others to consume.
Sounds smug and unfriendly. May their overhead swamp over their attitude.
WineHunter.

Steve L Gellman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2866 Post by Steve L Gellman »

Tom G l a s g o w wrote: January 3rd, 2022, 2:07 pm

It’s a little more complicated than coming to my senses. It’s a restaurant that’s impossible to get into and we were taking a couple to celebrate a very special birthday. Something we’ve all been looking forward to for a long time

Robert Dentice
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#2867 Post by Robert Dentice »

Steve L Gellman wrote: January 4th, 2022, 4:03 am

It’s a little more complicated than coming to my senses. It’s a restaurant that’s impossible to get into and we were taking a couple to celebrate a very special birthday. Something we’ve all been looking forward to for a long time
I am sure it is too late. The restaurants in NYC have been extremely well prepared for this and I have yet to hear of someone who got COVID in a restaurant. Sounds like you were going to a top restaurant and my bet is your risk would be very low. Riding the train in or going into to an office is far more risky. Of course everyone has unique circumstances and I am not trying to downplay your concerns just giving an alternate view.

ITB - source | material

Steve L Gellman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2868 Post by Steve L Gellman »

Understand everything you’re saying Robert I can’t say I disagree. There’s just so much hysteria out there that we all felt it would be better if we just postponed. Hopefully we will be able to get into the restaurant at a later date

Steve L Gellman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2869 Post by Steve L Gellman »

I haven’t eaten at a restaurant in over two years😢

Tom G l a s g o w
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2870 Post by Tom G l a s g o w »

Steve L Gellman wrote: January 4th, 2022, 4:03 am

Unfortunately, the timing isn’t good with omicron right now. I get what Robert is saying, but he gone to lots of restaurants. If I hadn’t gone to any restaurants in the past two years no way I’d go now.

Ju1ian Dev1in

#2871 Post by Ju1ian Dev1in »

AnthonyDThompson wrote: October 28th, 2021, 5:16 pm The wife and I did a NYC Michelin bar crawl a couple years ago. Went to Marea, Le Bernadin, Per Se (the salon) and EMP. While not as sexy as sitting for the full menus the bartenders and servers are very helpful. In fact you can get a lot better conversation (how things are prepared, cooking tips etc...). You can split a couple signature dishes and some wine then hit the next. Spent on 4 restaurants what you would for the full menu at Per Se.
Nice! A couple years ago for my wife's birthday, I set up a pretty perfect trip to NYC...
Day 1 - Arrived for lunch at the Bar Room at the Modern, then visited the museum. Dinner at Le Bernardin
Day 2 - Lunch at Caviar Russe. Tried to have a cocktail at Bar Sixty Five but it was closed for a private party. Dinner at Marea
Day 3 - carriage ride in Central square. Quick (awful) lunch before seeing Hamilton. Dinner at Per Se.
I think it will be a long time before we enjoy so many Michelin stars in such a short time!

Scott Rutkay
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2872 Post by Scott Rutkay »

Sunday lunch at Benoit - a place I always forget about.
Onion soup to start. I told the waiter that my guest and I would be sharing every course, never expecting the kitchen to split the soup. They brought out the soup in two separate smaller crocks, each a smaller copy of their larger portion. I was really impressed with the thoughtfulness of that gesture - made it a lot easier to share.
East coast oysters - very plump - very delicious - the mignonette was a little too heavy on vinegar, strangely.
Poulet Roti (serving for 1 for 2 people) - excellent roasted chicken - the jus was very deep - very good - comes with fries, which we werent expecting - also very good.
side of gingered green beans - these were a miss for us - the ginger was very muted - I likely wouldnt order this again.

Aperol spritz to start - then 2016 Meursault - Jobard-Morey - both excellent.

Am planning on returning for dinner - the brunch menu is a little abbreviated - would love to try some more mains.

Sh@n A

#2873 Post by Sh@n A »

Scott Rutkay wrote: January 14th, 2022, 9:05 am Sunday lunch at Benoit - a place I always forget about... Am planning on returning for dinner - the brunch menu is a little abbreviated - would love to try some more mains.
$50 cork. Try the duck.
/ @ g r @ \

Ramon C

#2874 Post by Ramon C »

Sh@n A wrote: January 14th, 2022, 11:36 am
Scott Rutkay wrote: January 14th, 2022, 9:05 am Sunday lunch at Benoit - a place I always forget about... Am planning on returning for dinner - the brunch menu is a little abbreviated - would love to try some more mains.
$50 cork. Try the duck.
Benoit's version of cassoulet had stood out, imo, among local restaurants that serve it. A primary reason why I would dine at Benoit.
@brera

Robert Dentice
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#2875 Post by Robert Dentice »

Some recent noteworthy meals.

GEM - the new seafood / Japanese inspired menu is wonderful.

Jungsik - Went to a private wine dinner, the food was a stunning match for and Riesling with a Burgundy interlude meal. Can't wait to go back.

63 Clinton - Fantastic meal and just so welcoming and wine friendly.

Yellow Rose - I have seen a lot of Chefs eating here and finally tried take out and have already ordered for a 2nd time. Tex-Mex.

ITB - source | material

Faryan Amir-Ghassemi

#2876 Post by Faryan Amir-Ghassemi »

Thanks for the note on 63 Clinton Robert. Had a fantastic meal at Uchu a whilesback so good to see the team back at it again. Do you know if they do vegetarian substitution?
bleh | meh - | meh | meh + | eh? | ehh | yeah | yeah! | OHYEAH

Robert Dentice
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#2877 Post by Robert Dentice »

champagne.gif
Faryan Amir-Ghassemi wrote: January 17th, 2022, 9:41 am Thanks for the note on 63 Clinton Robert. Had a fantastic meal at Uchu a whilesback so good to see the team back at it again. Do you know if they do vegetarian substitution?
I do not. I think it might be hard. One or two of the dishes are veg.

If they do I would be interested in trying it.

ITB - source | material

Ramon C

#2878 Post by Ramon C »

Just got reminded by Robert's note above on Yellow Rose. We had brunch there one Sunday in December and enjoyed the tacos that we ordered. I remember having beer with my tacos. I can see myself going back. They ran out of their signature dessert that every one else ahead of us had ordered, but the donut that we had nicely compensated.

7E9564AB-A048-4FAB-A6F8-E1F51CBBA49F.jpeg
DE391279-FF5D-4750-B0E7-F797C5738E56.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
@brera

Robert Dentice
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#2879 Post by Robert Dentice »

Another absolutely fantastic meal at The Four Horseman. We LOVE everything about it from the hospitality, music, vibe, wine list to the food. Only thing is that it is very hard to get a resy. I did note there were several people waiting for bar seats at 5:00. And we did a resy notice for two tables after to putting our name on the waitlist.

We are missing Paris very much and we both noted how it feels so Parisian.

ITB - source | material

Sam Kwak

#2880 Post by Sam Kwak »

Ramon C wrote: January 17th, 2022, 6:50 am
$50 cork. Try the duck.
Benoit's version of cassoulet had stood out, imo, among local restaurants that serve it. A primary reason why I would dine at Benoit.
If you like cassoulet, have you tried the one at Cafe d'Alsace? They don't always have it on the menu but it's been one of my favorite. Looks like they brought it back for the dinner menu for Restaurant Week which runs until Feb 13: https://cafedalsace.com/menus/restaurant-week-dinner/

Ramon C

#2881 Post by Ramon C »

Sam Kwak wrote: January 19th, 2022, 11:05 am
Ramon C wrote: January 17th, 2022, 6:50 am
$50 cork. Try the duck.
If you like cassoulet, have you tried the one at Cafe d'Alsace? They don't always have it on the menu but it's been one of my favorite. Looks like they brought it back for the dinner menu for Restaurant Week which runs until Feb 13: https://cafedalsace.com/menus/restaurant-week-dinner/
Thanks. Been there years ago and liked their choucroute. I didn't know they offer(ed) cassoulet. Definitely on my radar now. Do you know if byob/corkage allowed?
@brera

Sam Kwak

#2882 Post by Sam Kwak »

Haven't been lately but I think it was something like $35 for corkage a couple of years back

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”