Copper River - Incoming

Question: Am I better off stock up on Costco CR salmon and freezing several filets, or should I continue to buy only as much as can be used fresh?

While there may be a way to freeze CRS I don’t think home freezers are the way to go.

I eat it fresh and fresh alone.

I have frozen the costco CR salmon in the past with decent results… but probably consumed withing 6 months or less. Considering you need to buy a whole side at Costco, unless you are feeding 4-6 adults in one sitting, its tough to only consume it fresh…

Just called my Fish guy and he got the first of the season in today and the price is $37.99 a # [shock.gif]
He said he expected a price drop by Thursday this week. I think I’ll wait till then!

I have had good success portioning into smaller fillets, vacuum sealing them and putting them in a deep freeze. In the DC area, it’s the best Salmon I can find without spending a small fortune.

The first week is always crazy high prices. If price is a concern, look for the Yukon River salmon - just as fatty as the Copper River, but with a lower-level marketing team.

I grilled some king CRS last night, and we had them with sauteed baby bok choy and leek scapes. Just olive oil, salt, and pepper on the filets, over mesquite hardwood lump charcoal. To drink, a 2008 Rhys Horseshoe Vineyard Pinot.

It sure wasn’t cheap, but wow what a meal. The fish was intensely flavorful and so fresh tasting. Well worth the once-a-year splurge. The wine showed really well too!

Spoke with a client who is in the seafood business and it’s his impression that there will be a $ bump early in the season and then there will be a lot of wild salmon in the market this season (aka record breaking #'s of quantity).

I think Yukon River King is even richer than Copper River. I also think Alaska just banned fishing for king salmon in the Yukon river (the numbers have been declining for a decade).

-Al

I know many will disagree, but Wild King doesn’t freeze well. There’s a change in texture and a drying effect on the flesh. Eat what you can fresh–it keeps longer than many other fish. Then cure whatever you can’t get to.

Agree; eat it fresh then cure or cold smoke. I don’t eat farmed or frozen salmon.

Al, you and I have been huge Yukon River King fans for years. But, you’re right that fishing has been banned or severely restricted for several years now). Copper River is an okay sub dor Yukon River, but I actually will look to Arctic Char at a much lower price point.

Mel’s reporting of $37.99/pound is insane (the price, not the reporting). That’s higher than I ever paid for Yukon River.

We’re starting to see some nice local troll caught Chinook in local stores. I prefer it to Alaska fish - just because it’s fresher. The nice thing is that the prices are much more reasonable - $16/lb.

Frozen doesn’t do it for me even in a food saver. Eat fresh and eat wild.

Yes, we’ve been huge Yukon River fans, although mostly unrequited ones at this point (at least, in my case). I enjoy a lot of other salmon, but also wouldn’t buy Copper River at that price. I’d buy the Yukon River, even in good years the season was so short that the price didn’t drop much.

-Al

In Seattle, we get decent frozen wild year-round. It’s best in season, bit nothing wrong with a little winter sockeye…

Michael

same here. I usually buy a few whole frozen sockeye when the price drops to 3.99 at Fred Meyer/QFC, smoke a few more then freeze, and if i catch two Willamette river Springers (Spring run Chinook), that’s 52 weeks of fish.

the DC costco had fresh king for $17 per pound yesterday. On the plank tonight.

The drop off in texture and flavor is dramatic fresh vs frozen. I don’t eat frozen fish of any kind.

i thought all fish gets frozen? even sushi?

wild king salmon at whole food… $13/lb… planked… gorgeous with a 08 Rhys FF…