Chanterelles.

I have been in the northwoods for the weekend at my parents place and happened upon a nice hord of golden chanterelles growing on their property. Im not a great cook so i figured i would just saute them up with some butter and a light touch of salt.

Any other simple ideas?

Cook pasta. When pasta is nearly finished, put equal parts olive oil and butter in a sauce pan over high heat. When the butter is melted add chanterelles and cook for about 3 minutes. Add fresh herbs to taste, I like parsley. Serve over pasta (fettuccine) and top with fresh grated Parmesan cheese.

Easy peasey.

You can also add a bit of cream to make a more substantial sauce, but I prefer without.

Sautéed is best IMHO, but I might add a splash of white wine, and maybe some cream depending on my mood. Serve on toast.

To excerpt from a reply I made in the thread Jay referenced – there are several varieties of “false chanterelles” so you have to be very sure of what you are doing. I picked a batch and found out (fortunately before eating them) that they were actually Jack-o-lanterns.

Looks like the best way to tell the difference is the gills. Chanterelles don’t have true gills like the Jacks.

I like to make an omelet with Chanterelles and 3yr white cheddar, finish with last of the season chopped tarragon.

Or I often make a venison, chanterelle, hazelnut and cream goulash.

Too late. I ate them. Sauted in butter. Yummy.

Not sick either.

Food dehydrate them till crumbly. Grind into fine powder with coffee grinder. Put on everything!!

Here’s my haul and a recipe from the Le Pigeon cookbook (I used venison)
tmp_18809-IMAG2419-571404092.jpg
tmp_18809-IMAG2412-1039576686.jpg

Costco has Chanterelles again. $10.99, so I’ll be eating them plenty til they are gone

Uh… obviously the ones on the bottom of the picture aren’t chanterelles. What are they?

a variety of Porcini found here in the Oregon coast range. Great flavor but over 50% have maggots.

Couple minutes in the wood oven, then olive oil, PX vin, sea salt, thyme flowers

^ looks fantastic

That does look awesome.

Had some last night in a marsala/cream/fresh herb sauce on toasts as an appy.

I had a mushroom and cream soup in Innsbruck once. I think they called it a goulasch, but all i can remember was lots of chanterelles and cream. Still haunts me.

I can second Jay’s reco to blanch them. Seems counterintuitive that it pulls water out, but it does. EDIT: that is, blanch them if they are carrying a lot of water. That’s not always the case.

I’m a big fan of them in cream sauce with thyme, over either toast or fresh taglietelle. A little pancetta in the sauce doesn’t hurt, either.

Sadly, my foraging spot in the Cascades is closed from the fires this year. Will have to try a few other trails.

Here’s a nice pic of them I took this weekend. Harvested over 25lbs plus some red crackling cap boletus.