flannery burger blend for chili?

Hey, anyone have a ‘burger builder’ blend recommendation for use in a chili recipe?

Need a blend that is competition-level to win a chili cookoff.

Unique seasoning recommendations are also appreciated.

Probably want something a little chewier in texture vs burgers, right?. thanks.

Not sure you will get what you want out of it. The burger blends tend to be high in fat and you don’t want a pot of chili with 3" of fat floating on top. Since the fat offers a nice portion of the flavor straining it out defeats the purpose of using the high fat meat.

Does it have to be ground beef for this contest? I have won chili cookoffs using cross rib roast that I cleaned and chopped into small pieces. Low and slow on the stove produces a meat that falls apart. People have always loved it.

My 2¢

I would use the hanger steaks place in freezer until not quote frozen and finely dice

I tried it. You shouldn’t. Brian is right. I got a fat-bomb. Try another cut (Suzanne is likely onto something there)…

I’ll try the hangar steak as well, great idea firming up the meat to finely dice. Thanks! Looks like I need to order some more meat from Flannery.

[scratch.gif] Isn’t that a bit like using Latour for cooking wine?

Uh yeah that’s why I suggested the cross rib roast. But you know what they say, " A Berserker and his money are soon parted."

Not Flannery, but in the subject of fat management in chili…in a recent batch I used bison cubes and a 50/50 mix of ground beef offal & ground bison. Pretty satisfying way to limit fat with lean bison but ensure a full meaty flavor.

Black Earth Meats produces the offal blend; it’s beef, liver, heart, and kidney: Log into Facebook | Facebook

Good luck!

You don’t cook with Latour? [scratch.gif]

[cheers.gif]

Brisket.

I even do not get the idea of a wagyu burger. Wagyu is expensive because of its intramuscular fat. When it cooks as a whole steak, the fat melts into the meat and makes it taste good. When the meat is broken down, what is the difference between a wagyu burger vs a piece of good beef grounded together with some wagyu fat.

Saw the comments on using Berserker blend in chili, and now thinking about using the Kali blend. Any experiences?

I’ve used the berserker blend with great results. Haven’t pulled the trigger on chili with the other blends yet. I thought they would be a greasy mess but the fat in this meat addd a wonderful richness.