CUMIN CARROTS

One of the best carrots ever by Eric Ripert/Le Bernardin. These carrots fits well with duck breast.

http://www.wineberserkers.com/content/?p=1389

Save water, drink wine
Martin

P.S. just to let you know that I didn`t use lemon juice at the end and I also used cumin, but not grounded.

I will be trying this soon and will report back with my results.

i’ve done something very similar with sous vide carrots - the texture is out of this world.

I’ve always found carrots to pair well with cumin. I usually make a cream-less cream of carrot soup with cumin.

Very interesting. I’ve never thought to use cumin with carrots. I’m intrigued, and will give this a shot sometime soon. Thanks for posting, Martin! [cheers.gif]

This looks good; I’ll give it a try. I am always looking for good carrot recipes. For some reason I find carrots difficult to prepare. It is not that I can’t prepare them, but I often find the outcome underwhelming. They either lack flavor or are too sweet with most conventional preparation.

But this one sounds good. You had me at cumin :wink:

k.

P.S. here is the recipe for the duck by Eric Ripert:

Bought some carrots at the farmer’s market last night. This is on for dinner tonight.

A few days ago I had a little leftover butternut squash. I cut it up, cut up 3 large carrots and a leek, and made a squash/carrot/leek pureed soup. For various reasons it had Ras el Hanout and saffron in it, and it was really tasty. Of course cumin is one of the major ingredients in Ras el Hanout – but I would suggest that the variation with Moroccan spice would be worth trying. Ras el Hanout is a mixture of perhaps six or eight spices, the recipe is variable.

Sigh, I did both the duck and the carrot recipe. Unfortunately when prepping the spice mixtures beforehand I poured the spices for the duck into the carrots. Noticed it before pouring the carrot spices onto the duck.

Anyway, both were very good (though the carrots took longer to cook than 20 minutes) but I look forward to trying it again with the correct spices. Also, was the sauce for the duck really intended to contain all the rendered duck fat? I poured most of it off, couldn’t believe that was the intent.

Eric Ripert used baby carrots, so they need less time than normal carrots. I will change the cooking time to 30min.

coincidentally, I ran across a cumin carrots dish at a restaurant last night; it was delicious, and therefore made me even more excited to try Martin’s preparation. :slight_smile:

I’ve cooked this a few times now. I also add some glugs of bourbon when I want. For me, it always takes longer than the time indicated, and I end up adding more liquid.

k.

I’ve used Raz el Hanout for a while to spice my carrots. I serve them as a starter/apéritif.
Here’s what I use:

• Carrots (boiled a while to reach desired softness)
  • Raz el Hanout, cumin (just a little bit since already there in raz el hanout), paprika (for color), garlic (powder if I don’t have fresh), herbes de provence (not too much), salt, pepper, Espelette piment
    And of course you drown them in olive oil. The mix needs to sit 1-2 hours in the fridge so that the carrots absorb a bit of the marinade (stir once or twice).

Alain

Trader Joe’s has Ras el Hanout pre-packaged now which is kind of nice.

Slight aside, I use cumin on sweet potatoes, peeled (obviously), then cut into about 2" chunks, sprinkle with olive oil and cumin (plus salt) and roast at about 375 for an hour and half, or until they are browning and caramelizing. Toss in the pan once or twice during cooking. It’s the only way I cook sweet potatoes any more.